15 Rules of Better LARPing...

A place for unregistered users to post and find out about Skully from the players. (Any opinions here are not necessarily that of Skullduggery LARP or the organisers)

Moderators: Dan L, Adam, jony

General Kazadum von Krieg

15 Rules of Better LARPing...

Post by General Kazadum von Krieg » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:26 pm

The 15 Rules for Better LRPing:

1. Don't play a mighty warrior; play a warrior and be mighty.
Don?t label your character. As soon as you say that you?re the best swordsman in the land someone will come along and kick your ass. Just get into the mindset of the person and roleplay it out.

2. No one cares about your character background.
Really. Don?t tell me about your character and how great he is. It gets boring after the first 50 people or so have told you the same thing. The character is important to you, let that be enough.

3. You are not the Highlander.
There?s an urban myth that after the first LoTR movie came out no less than 9 characters called Legolas turned up to the Gathering. You are not the only one.

4. No one likes an elf.
Are you playing an elf because are you are genuinely interested in portraying an alien mindset, or so you can be a human with pointy ears? Are you going to be yet another namby-pamby, wishy-washy, lowest-common-denominator, bleeding heart liberal over-used hackneyed fantasy concept? Your race doesn?t make your character different from the real-life you, the way you act does.

5. You are not your vet picks. You are not your skill list. You are not your f*cking lammies. You are not unique. You are the all singing, all dancing sh*t of the system.
Your skills / special abilities / mingy items of ULTIMATE DOOM! do not define your character. Who he is, what he does and what he wants are the things you should concentrate on. Most importantly do not try and be unique; fitting with the concept is better than breaking it.

6. Your character doesn't go clubbing.
There is nothing sadder than seeing people in clubs wearing their LRP kit. People walking around in-character like they?ve just stepped out of Slimelight is equally as bad. Kit or goth, don?t confuse the two.

7. Don't take the p*ss.
You heard the man.

8. I do not want to find your character in a book.
LRP is littered with plagiarism. It?s not big and it?s not clever. Be inspired by books, fine, but at least change the sodding names.

9. Drum-rolling is for marching bands.
Weapons, my friend, are pretty damn heavy. Act like it. I wanna see huge, heroic, Conan-like sword swings!

10. Being hit hurts, bitch.
When someone hits you it hurts. A lot. Even if it doesn?t kill your character you should be crying like a big girl.

11. I don't give a f*ck what would really happen.
The "what would happen in real life" argument is the first resort of the loser. Repeat after me: "it?s fantasy, it?s just a game, this is not real life."

12. Yeah, but you didn't. Get over it.
I don't want to know that you would have kicked off if your group leader hadn't stopped you, that you would have beaten me if I'd fought fair, or that you would have survived that battle if you weren't hung over. You didn't.

13. What's an "Out-of-character"? Are you ill?
If you?re in an in-character area, and it?s during time in, then be in character. If you want to be out of character for whatever reason then go somewhere else. You are only spoiling the enjoyment of those around you.

14. They only killed your character. Get over it.
Invest in your character to get the most out of him. When he dies, though, just let it go. If anyone starts moping and bitching because their fictional persona has ceased to exist then they?ll get a visit from the Sad b@stard Police, Muppet Division.

15. Your character is not you in fancy dress.
If you need this rule explaining then you also need your head checked. Leave the event and go see a doctor.

These are the final, authorised Drunk Performing Monkeys versions of the 15 Rules for Better LRPing. I know the Drunk Performing Monkeys, didn't write them all... but they did do most of the work

David of Shea
Heard of Lands Veteran

Post by David of Shea » Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:31 pm

here here

Lets face it, if someone says to you "I'm out of character" you'll say
"so your feeling a bit out of sorts then?"
Now playing: Bjorn Silverguard, Silurian priest of Sil.

"Sil asks only that we have the aspects of the wolf, cunning, tenacity, and loyalty. Ferocious in defence and relentless on attack."

Post by General Kazadum von Krieg » Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:15 pm

and i do... too often, but its getting better.

ox

Colin King
I Remember the Rejection

Post by Colin King » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:52 pm

But I wanna be a Lammie?

Only Joking, although the shiney plastic might be considered light armour ... mmm .... me thinks I am getting a idea ..... Steve ... can I be a plastic fae .... 2 seconds later .... someone call first aid .... colin seems to be bleeding everywhere..... again!

The only problem I have with LARP fighting is that by the time I've roleplayed hitting someone "heroic style speed" once, they've hit me 8 times!!! Then I play being hurt and stagger around a bit and they've hit me another 12 times! I used to not mind it ... but now I don't smoke I'll have nothing to do while on the floor.... I could always take a book to read whilst on the floor ... there are some really good Mills & Boon I haven't read yet ........

Frost
Been here a while

Post by Frost » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:49 am

Damn you! you beat me to it posting this!!

Ahh least i can take comfort knowing i posted first time around on the ooc skully board :P

Danny lammas
Been here a while

Post by Danny lammas » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:03 pm

Colin King wrote:The only problem I have with LARP fighting is that by the time I've roleplayed hitting someone "heroic style speed" once, they've hit me 8 times!!! Then I play being hurt and stagger around a bit and they've hit me another 12 times! I used to not mind it ... but now I don't smoke I'll have nothing to do while on the floor.... I could always take a book to read whilst on the floor ... there are some really good Mills & Boon I haven't read yet ........
Yeah I've noticed that, one of the many reasons used to die alot, although I don't think I'll ever stop the ''Conan Swings''

"conan; the barbarian! Conan warrior without fear, he's more powerful than any man who ever faught across the land or sea..."
  • "He came to me in a tragic dream of doom and I shall dream of Tropis, now, until my dying day. That is my gift and my curse; to dream of a world I shall never know."

Redswift
Passing through

Post by Redswift » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:47 am

Use Conan swings when monstering! Fun, with respawning characters!
Lord Redswift

High Commander of the Calaen Reconnaisance Advance Patrol
Redswift's Minstrels sung and not wrote:Bravely bold Lord Redswift, rode forth from Calaea.
He was not afraid to die, o brave Lord Redswift...

Biggs Hedgeminder
Defender of the HOL

Post by Biggs Hedgeminder » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:49 pm

I don't know... it is possible to play a character who uses heroic style swings, lookit!

That's my Sanctuary character calling Quad damage to a heavily armoured opponent, and I stay alive! Mind you... you have to watch the people behind you, as Rob S1 will testament to!

Dan L
Biggs Hedgeminder,
Soldier of the Lord Aderon en'Merka,
Commander of the Wilds.
Best of the best of the best.
----Gurth Goth Rimlye!----
Dan L, Nation Ref.

Harri
I Remember the Rejection

Post by Harri » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:09 pm

I must say dan, thats a picture for the caption comp if ever i did see one! The stick of doom is deffinatly being used as a back scratcher there... well from the look of it a lower back scratcher at least ^_^
Harri - Plot ref for Skully Classic.

Cultelius
Passing through

Post by Cultelius » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:25 pm

Harri wrote:I must say dan, thats a picture for the caption comp if ever i did see one! The stick of doom is deffinatly being used as a back scratcher there... well from the look of it a lower back scratcher at least ^_^
No - it's an arse scratcher - look where the point is. And you wanna go and hit people with it after you've used it? I'm not fighting you!

Kantose Benedicti
Passing through

Post by Kantose Benedicti » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:17 pm

I don't agree with the 'don't be original' part. It's a lot more interesting roleplaying with people who actually have a really good uneque character ideas than a bunch of players who want to do nothing other than swing a sword around all day.
By the power of leetness, i cast Spam Forum level 7!

Kantose Benedicti
Nosque of Armiger rank (blue)
Nosquan Alchemist
Vampire Hunter In-training

Post by General Kazadum von Krieg » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:54 pm

erm..... uniques

one word

NECRON

nuff said

Biggs Hedgeminder
Defender of the HOL

Post by Biggs Hedgeminder » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:29 am

What about me? Homophobic, womanising, alchoholic, fist fighting, xenophobic, religious fanaticist, cockney elf? I'd say that's pretty unique.
Biggs Hedgeminder,
Soldier of the Lord Aderon en'Merka,
Commander of the Wilds.
Best of the best of the best.
----Gurth Goth Rimlye!----
Dan L, Nation Ref.

Kaldo Shaddam
Passing through

Post by Kaldo Shaddam » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:22 pm

General Kazadum von Krieg wrote:erm..... uniques

one word

NECRON

nuff said
Yeh well the first necron was Unique, Necron v1.2-1.9 was rather boring and teadious, sorry grant, apart some suttle changes in coustume i don't think people realised you were playing a 'rencarnation' (spelling ?) or its just from my view i didn't notice a change,

Any Hoot, not long until tom foolery , thats always worth a laugh :lol:

Dan T
Heard of Lands Veteran

Post by Dan T » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:39 pm

Rule 16. credit/link to the original source when cut/pasting things onto a LARP forum. :P

I've said before number 2 numer 6 and number 11 should be etched in stone over every games control. If I had a penny for every moment I've spent not giving a crap about someones character background I'd not be a rich man as 'moment' isnt' a quantifiable measure of time...but I'd still be pretty well off. You character's backstory starts when you roll them up.

The one about originality is a very good one that a lot of people misunderstand. What they're saying is that if you're playing an elf, play an elf, if your playing a drow, play a drow. Don't play a drow who was raised by elves but then whitnessed them killing a squirril and became jaded so went back to the drow but didn't like the food so now wears wings and pretends to be a hummingbird to fulfill his vendetta against both races.

The coolest groups in Skully by miles are The Wolves of the Black Sun and the New Nosque (the non make up wearing armoured guys) because none of them are trying to be the hero, they're just playing characters.
((OOC: Dan T))

aka - Chase Edhel'er, son of Kano (the best dad ever), trainiee Paladin of that tree god.

aka C-Tez from Pike That

If you're not in the Guild, you're not in the Guild.