Bow comp

Moderators: jony, Adam

mark
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Bow comp

Post by mark » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:17 pm

Hey guys, I hate to bring a negative thing to the fore, but something wasn't right.
No less than three times I was shot in the head, once in the left eye, by arrows. This seems a bit extreme to me, seeing as I've never been hit in the head previously in the many years I've been going to skully.
I'm not naming any names or anything and I know I'm not the only one who got twatted on the bonce.

Is there any way the people can be re-bow comped? Either that or some really good safety advice/bow practice? I only mention this because my eyeball is scratched and it looks like I'm gunna have quite a shiner.
Playing Classic: Tyrel Turanion
Widower, warrior, leader.

"We will walk this new world with new purpose."

Wyldefire: Javed Ullah Jasved Ben Laughing Crow "The Drophammer"
Smith

mark

Re: Bow comp

Post by mark » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:32 pm

I just want to clarify, I had a good game and in no way wish this to come off as a dig to anyone. I just wanted to ask the above, as it is just a bit odd to me.

Smith

Rolandz
Been here a while

Post by Rolandz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 pm

I think a lot of it is about patience and aiming, not rushing into a shot. Out of the hundred or so arrows I must have shot I Hit one chap in the head (I immediately apologised and he seemed okay) unfortunately it happens but through taking your time you can cut a lot of it down.
Over the course of the day I think I got hit in the head four or five time. Luckily they were well pulled shots so no harm done.

Skye
Defender of the HOL

Post by Skye » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:39 pm

I think the sheer number of arrows being loosed (well into the hundreds and more than I've ever seen at a Skully I've been to) meant that there were more head shots. Similarly to how there’s always the odd accidental head shot with melee weapons no matter how careful you are.
IC: Lady Ember Edhel'er
Keeper of the Trees
Head of the Healers Guild

mark

Post by mark » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Oh don't get me wrong, I expect them to happen now and then, but like Roland said maybe its taking time to aim, etc. I got clouted a few times by melee weapons, but I think I've become immune to that. Or I've got no sense left. Either way.

Smith

CharlieP
I Remember the Rejection

Post by CharlieP » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 pm

Bow comp is once a year so we'll all go through it again.

I know I sent a few too high, I think in my case mostly to do with speed as Roland says. Worse when I was playing my character as I was more invested, so sorry again to those playing goblins.

Just need to take the time to shoot carefully.
Charlie

IC Lady Solitae Baen Itryn, Calaen Chronicler
OC Charlotte or Charlie, Also seamstress and first aider!

RIP Isthaniya, Cloud Fae,
RIP Lady Madeleine, Healer to the Royal house of Dilandau, King of Afacia

Patches
I Remember the Rejection

Post by Patches » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Sorry Mark that was me with the eye shot as well, i did genuinly feel bad about that. I do archery a lot as part of my archery club so practise wasnt the problem there, just reacted to quick, didnt take enough time and was crouched so the angle was off, again very sorry but i didnt get another head shot all day after that if that makes it any better.
I dont think it can be fixed in all honesty, its bound to happen to everyone now and then, just like i'll ocasionally get a sword in the face too, the important thing is if it keeps happening with the same archer then they should loose bow comp until they go through it again.
Kids Plot DM/NPC

SKULLY IC (564) : Grom Pathtredder (Dormar) KIA
Maelstrom: Kael Eldon (Black Eagles - Freiboden) - KIA
Lorien Trust: Hawthorn (Harts - Ranger of Cornwall) MIA
Aftermath: Bloodnok (wandering off in tunnels) MIA

mark

Post by mark » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:56 pm

I wasn't naming people, Phil! Haha. Like I said at the time, it's all cool. I know mistakes can happen and I know that vast majority would genuinely feel bad if they did it.

I know there was a MASSIVE increase in the number of people using bows, and that mistakes do happen, it's just the number of them was really bad.

Smith

Patches
I Remember the Rejection

Post by Patches » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 am

Yeah i know man its all good i dont mind admitting when i hit people, i think two from a a whole day shooting is quite good, must of shot close to a hundred arrows so its not a bad amount of headshots, plus my first headshot was a really good shot just kinda leaned into as he was running. Urs was just a terrible shot, be interesting actually both mine where in first half hour so maybe practice shoot before time in would help.

Or where there bad shots all day??
Kids Plot DM/NPC

mark

Post by mark » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 am

Yours was my first one, I got two others a little later when fighting down by the remains of the village.

Smith

Patches
I Remember the Rejection

Post by Patches » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:01 am

mark wrote:Yours was my first one, I got two others a little later when fighting down by the remains of the village.
Ah ok so mainly in the first half of the linear, so maybe a 20 minute practise shoot beginning of everday would be a way to go. I know that wooden bows like mine take a while to settle in once u string them, not sure on others but either way some sort of warm up for archers would be good, but we can just suggest that and let people do that them selves?

A three strikes rule might help as well, so three headshots in a day and ur bow from an IC point of view is broken and needs repair?
Problem is its hard to know when its an archers fault or just bad timing, sometime its a good shot but the player kneels or ducks and gets hit in the head with the already loosed arrow and that cant be helped.
I think if its a hard face hit while standing still then that is a bad shot and a ref should be told, ref can radio gc and gc can put a mark against that player, three marks and ur done with bows for the day.
Kids Plot DM/NPC

CharlieP
I Remember the Rejection

Post by CharlieP » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:07 am

It probably doesn't need to be that formalised.

I know after I did 2 shots in a row that went wild I stopped myself (one a head shot, the other just wasn't anywhere near where I aimed for). In my case I think just shooting too fast for my abiliities. Adrenalin does not improve my aim.

The refs already have a system for calling out anyone shooting badly and not checking themselves, Jony called time freeze and reminded us in the monring.

I honestly think the number of bad shots was due to the unusually high volume of arrows. If you have 1 bad shot in 25 but usually only have 1 archer per side only doing 25 shots in a battle then the 2 that go wild are probably only noticed by the archers and the 2 people they hit. If you have 9 or 10 archers shooting literally hundreds of arrows the bad shot count will be proportional and more people are likely to experience them..

Skye was saying she doesn't think she's ever shot that many arrows at a Skullly event ever....
Charlie

IC Lady Solitae Baen Itryn, Calaen Chronicler
OC Charlotte or Charlie, Also seamstress and first aider!

RIP Isthaniya, Cloud Fae,
RIP Lady Madeleine, Healer to the Royal house of Dilandau, King of Afacia

Lori
Hero of the Heard of Lands

Post by Lori » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:09 am

Patches wrote:
mark wrote:Yours was my first one, I got two others a little later when fighting down by the remains of the village.
Ah ok so mainly in the first half of the linear, so maybe a 20 minute practise shoot beginning of everday would be a way to go. I know that wooden bows like mine take a while to settle in once u string them, not sure on others but either way some sort of warm up for archers would be good, but we can just suggest that and let people do that them selves?.
Harri said this during Bow Comp on Sunday morning. He said to take some practice shots at the beginning of each day to get your eye in, since the first few tend to not be so accurate.
Patches wrote:A three strikes rule might help as well, so three headshots in a day and ur bow from an IC point of view is broken and needs repair?
Problem is its hard to know when its an archers fault or just bad timing, sometime its a good shot but the player kneels or ducks and gets hit in the head with the already loosed arrow and that cant be helped.
I think if its a hard face hit while standing still then that is a bad shot and a ref should be told, ref can radio gc and gc can put a mark against that player, three marks and ur done with bows for the day.
I can remember being told several times, over a number of years, that if you hit someone in the head even once that you lost your bow comp, could not use a bow for the rest of the event, and had to do bow comp again. Obviously, this has not been happening, especially given the number of head shots I saw happen on Sunday that got waved off with a 'sorry!', if that.

I also remember Harri saying at bow comp on Sunday that the arrow is your responsibility even after it leaves your bow, regardless of whether someone ducks, kneels, runs in front of it, or anything else. I know I have been told that over a number of years too.

I can also remember someone having a bow taken off of them for the weekend because of one head shot that was because someone the archer could not see sprinted across the line of fire after the bow left the string. Nothing the archer could do, but they still lost their use of their bow for the event.
IC: Heather McDroo

2005-2013: Arinthalia (Arin)
Summer Queen
Wife of Tyrel

OOC: Lori
£30 off Odyssey ticket! Use Odyssey discount code is 3503.7722: £15 off & join Hellas Phoenicia, Sons of Bellerophon and ALSO get £15 from me.

Patches
I Remember the Rejection

Post by Patches » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:22 am

Lori wrote:I can remember being told several times, over a number of years, that if you hit someone in the head even once that you lost your bow comp, could not use a bow for the rest of the event, and had to do bow comp again. Obviously, this has not been happening, especially given the number of head shots I saw happen on Sunday that got waved off with a 'sorry!', if that.

I also remember Harri saying at bow comp on Sunday that the arrow is your responsibility even after it leaves your bow, regardless of whether someone ducks, kneels, runs in front of it, or anything else. I know I have been told that over a number of years too.

I can also remember someone having a bow taken off of them for the weekend because of one head shot that was because someone the archer could not see sprinted across the line of fire after the bow left the string. Nothing the archer could do, but they still lost their use of their bow for the event.
i agree weve been told all that but its completly wrong, the arrow is your resposibity up to a point, if some tries to block it with a sword, cloak, or hands then the responsibilty is on them as everyone should know not to do that, we used to say that at the firepit but maybe it needs redoing. also if someone dives in front to save someone and it hits them in the head then thats their own fault not mine.
if someone kneels or ducks and gets hit in the head then thats unfortunate and i will say sorry but i wont blame myself, its just an unavoidable accident, the question is was the shot to powerful?

one head shot and then loosing your bow is overly harsh, and if that was the case then i expect swords to be taken off people who get accidental head shots as well.
people are gunna get hit in the head,it just goes with the game, people arent perfect and cant be expected to get perfect accuracy everytime. its down to the player whos hit to decide if it was a dangerous enough shot to report it to the ref, and if they dont then in my opinion the matter is closed.

and in relation to the amount of headshots, it really wasnt that many if you consider the amount of arrows fired. in any case it should be down to the person being hit to decide if a head shot needs reporting
Kids Plot DM/NPC

Lori
Hero of the Heard of Lands

Post by Lori » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:29 am

Patches wrote: people are gunna get hit in the head,it just goes with the game,
People never used to get hit in the head. Certainly not with a weapon. And only very occassionally with an arrow.

I think, in general, people used to aim lower with their bows because they did not want to lose the use of it if they accidently hit someone in the head. So, there were many more pod shots, but no head shots.

I saw three people in the parking lot who were going to end up with black eyes and another who could barely move from being repeatedly hit too hard and I found it all very disturbing. If you don't think it is disturbing, I'm not sure what else to say.
IC: Heather McDroo

2005-2013: Arinthalia (Arin)
Summer Queen
Wife of Tyrel

OOC: Lori
£30 off Odyssey ticket! Use Odyssey discount code is 3503.7722: £15 off & join Hellas Phoenicia, Sons of Bellerophon and ALSO get £15 from me.