Hello, where do I begin?

A place for unregistered users to post and find out about Skully from the players. (Any opinions here are not necessarily that of Skullduggery LARP or the organisers)

Moderators: jony, Adam

Rhys
Passing through

Hello, where do I begin?

Post by Rhys » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi all, I've just watched Unicorn City and it looked quite fun, so just wondering where do I start?

Nate
Sleep never fell upon his eyes; but he kept sure watch always

Re: Hello, where do I begin?

Post by Nate » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:43 pm

Having never seen the film, nor knowing anything about it (other than a brief read on IMDB) I wouldn't want to guess as to how LARP has been portrayed. But this is a good place to start:

http://forum.skullduggerylarp.co.uk/vie ... =18&t=5664

Other than that, telling us a bit more about yourself, what your gaming background is, and what sort of thing you want to play would be a good start, and then any questions that you have that we can answer for you.

Welcome to the forum :)
Nathan Hoyle - Event Organiser and Coordinator

admin (at) skullduggerylarp.co.uk

Rhys
Passing through

Post by Rhys » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Well, the film was just about a bunch of geeks dressing up in silly costumes and running around a field playing with swords, it looked like what I did as a kid but with better toys and a bigger budget and more people to play with.

I don't have any LARPing experience or even DnG. I've played more 'normal' games, Chess, Backgammon, with a liitle 40k thrown in.

I guess I like the idea of a real WOW environment that isn't just about battle but leveling up and completing quests and running around with aliances trying to solve puzzles.

I read your thread and a quick read of the first few pages of the rules and I guess character wise I should just start off as being human. Do I really just turn up (after paying of course) with a bed sheet and a hole cut into it over my head and a belt then see what happens?

A lot of table top game players take it far too seriously and adhere to the rules too closely, to the detriment of the game, some spend half the time reading the rule book and arguing with refs. I'd rather just have fun even if I'm not very good at it.

CharlieP
I Remember the Rejection

Post by CharlieP » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 pm

Rhys wrote: I read your thread and a quick read of the first few pages of the rules and I guess character wise I should just start off as being human. Do I really just turn up (after paying of course) with a bed sheet and a hole cut into it over my head and a belt then see what happens?
Pretty much!!

Of course it will be February so probably some more layers of costume would be good, we can lend you some if needed, but hunting through a few charity shops will usually do quite well, and you'll need some camping gear if you're staying over and something to eat/money to buy food.

I can point you towards some basic costume making pages to turn your bedsheet into something a bit more impressive, very little sewing skills required, or if you know someone who sews there are plenty of cool ideas out there.

You'll probably want weapon at some point, but try before you buy is usually best, and Having A Larp should be onsite, but you may be able to borrow one of those too. Of course you can play several different characters with no weapons and still do cool stuff.

Welcome!
Charlie

IC Lady Solitae Baen Itryn, Calaen Chronicler
OC Charlotte or Charlie, Also seamstress and first aider!

RIP Isthaniya, Cloud Fae,
RIP Lady Madeleine, Healer to the Royal house of Dilandau, King of Afacia

Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:29 am

LARP tends to be much more loose on rules than tabletop, and there is a definite ethos of just rolling with things if there's an ambiguity in the rules. As long as you're not taking the mick, noone is going to really be bothered if you get a few rules wrong. Pull your blows and count your hits are the big two really, stick to those and the rest you can pick up on the way.

Rhys
Passing through

Post by Rhys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:13 pm

Although I can sometimes be creative I've not done anything like this before, I saw this tabard which is quite cheap, there's a lot of cool stuff out there that you can buy and it's really tempting to go out and buy a full suit of armour

What times do you normally get going? Is it usually two full days of Larping?

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 pm

Just to drop in and say hi. We're all a friendly bunch and people are usually very generous with helping out newer people with lending of kit.

Tabard looks decent enough. Armour to be honest I would borrow some of someone else first. Or at least lift theirs to see how heavy it is before you blow £500 on a suit when you're new to the hobby.

Usually February events are:
SATURDAY
Arrive from 8:30
Time in 10/11am
Timeish (can drink, go out of character or continue talking in character but no combat) 10pm
SUNDAY
Time in 10am
Time out 4pm

Other events involve Fridays and generally follow the rough guidelines of:
FRIDAY
Arrive 4pm
Time in 7:30pm
Timeish 10pm
SATURDAY
Time in 10
Timeish 10pm
SUNDAY
Time in 10am
Time out 4pm

Outside of Nathan's excellent newbie guide my advice for newer players is play a human (or something else that requires little to no makeup or costume requirement especially if you're brand new to LARP as this cuts down start-up costs). Then pick a God and go find other people who worship your God then introduce yourself and go from there. Having some set goals to do is always fun if it gets you to interact with other players. Playing a warrior type, be on the look out for a trainer who can teach you the more martial ways. Playing a Mage/Priest be looking for a mentor etc. Gives you some goals to aspire to and aim for so you won't get bored.

Rhys
Passing through

Post by Rhys » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Cool, sounds like a plan, who are the Gods, the rules only had one God per race. Is there another full list somewhere?

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:38 pm

God list:
Dan L wrote:1. Sil + Karak
2. Illinar (+ Tigridia)
3. Thor + Mudazre
4. Rhiestivai + Sharia
5. Green Man + Maiden
6. Akarne’s wife + Shar’Teel
7. Viestivai + Xarn
8. Elm + Mother
9. Akarne + Degan
10. Darkwood + Crone
So Sil was a crazed werewolf God
Illinar was the God of the Lost
Tigridia was a Godess of Magic
Thor was the Dwarf God
Green Man was the primal nature God
Maiden was his balance
Elm was the fatherly nature God
Mother was his balance
Darkwood was a great big forest
Crone was it's balance
Arkane was the God of civilisation
Rhestiwatsit and vestiwotsit are the twins and we're Gods of the Nosque
Everyone else was part if the Degan pantheon which I know nothing about :P

Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Steve's a little out, the game officially runs until midnight, and generally always does, though combat is quieter from 11pm. Though in fairness, a lot of people have, shall we say, 'relaxed' a great deal with beer and mead etc...

Godswise, we're at an interesting junction at the moment. For a start, as of next year there will be two separate events running under the Skullduggery banner, the 'classic' system, and one called Wyldfyre, for which information will be forthcoming (eventually :p). In Classic, at the last event all of the gods were slain, and the heroes fled the burning planet to an alternate reality created by the imagination of four sacrifices, and the powers of certain key individuals. So what Gods will exist on the other side, or what Gods can be restored is somewhat up in the air... It's still not clear as to where new players/characters will fit into the new world, but despite the ambiguity I'd say it's a great time to join the system, as everyone will be on a similar page with a fresh start.

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:41 pm

As Nathan said though it's mostly blank canvas hence why I put a lot of WAS about the Gods as stuff may change...