So I'm new here...

A place for unregistered users to post and find out about Skully from the players. (Any opinions here are not necessarily that of Skullduggery LARP or the organisers)

Moderators: jony, Adam

adudfield04
Passing through

So I'm new here...

Post by adudfield04 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:46 pm

Hey guys. So the story is I've never LARPed before and a friend of mine started a couple of months ago up north and is always telling me just how incredible it is so I looked around for ones near Folkestone and came across you guys! I saw that Wyldefire is this weekend and was wondering if it'll be cool to just turn up and pay on the friday night? But I don't really have anything in the way of equipment and stuff so would it be worth it or should I wait until I've got some stuff together?

Short story: LARPing sounds awesome and I totally want to come to Wyldefire but have no idea what I'm doing.

Thaaanks :)

CharlieP
I Remember the Rejection

Re: So I'm new here...

Post by CharlieP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Yes you can just turn up on Friday. If you're planning on staying overnight you'll need a tent and camping gear (plastic hike tents are fine, you can camp OOC, (Out of Character)). You'll need to bring your own food and cooking gear if wanted as we don't have catering this event.

You'll want to read the documents for Wyldfire that explain the rules and the ideas for the game. They're all here: http://forum.skullduggerylarp.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=78

If you decide on a character type and group then there will be people who can help you fit in and get going.

If you can't decide on a character concept (I'm thinking 2 days may be a little short on time) you can consider monstering. This is where you play whatever the plot needs of you, occasionally it's bad guys for the players to kill, sometimes it's talking characters who go out with some information that the players need to have a conversation with you to find out. It gives you a good variety of characters to play and taste of all the options available. It's also a good way of learning how to use the weapons and how the rules work if you're a complete newbie! (Don't worry we were all that new once!).

You will need a costume of some sort, specific to your character choice if you play, basic under layers if you monster, and preferably a change of clothes too as the weather can be variable. Good shoes are important, you'll be on your feet a lot and it may be muddy, and you will at some point probably have to run in them (away or at something depends on the situation!) Charity shops are your friend for the fancy costume bits, logo free plain shirts and plain trousers are a good start for the base layers, there will be a seller on site, or there is some system owned stuff you can probably borrow.

Hope that helps, I'm sure plenty of others will be along too offer suggestions too.
Charlie

IC Lady Solitae Baen Itryn, Calaen Chronicler
OC Charlotte or Charlie, Also seamstress and first aider!

RIP Isthaniya, Cloud Fae,
RIP Lady Madeleine, Healer to the Royal house of Dilandau, King of Afacia

adudfield04
Passing through

Post by adudfield04 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:03 pm

That all seems to make sense.. I'd probably ask to do some monstering then to just learn the ropes and all that jazz! I've had a look over a lot (but not yet all!) of the docs and it seems pretty complex but in that way where when you start doing it it all starts to make sense so should be fine...I hope! I'll make the rounds of the charity shops tomorrow and see how it goes!

So basically: Get the basics of the rules down, turn up on friday evening in costume with a tent and food and just bug people until I've got a basic idea of what's going on? I'm sure I can do that! Is there somewhere to buy food or anything like that? A full weekend's worth of food is quite a lot of food...

If there's anything I've missed I'm all ears for advice and all that, I have no idea what questions I should be asking...but at this point I'll be rocking up on friday with some stuff and seeing how it goes! Thanks, see you there! ^_^

Dan L
Some scrub...

Post by Dan L » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:27 pm

Hey there! I'm the head ref of Wyldefire, and I'll likely be your go to guy for the weekend. We can provide costume and weapons for you, and you'll be thrown in with a very lovely and excitable crew, and I'll make sure you're given plenty to do for your first experience of LARP. Your best bet is to buddy up with someone from the Friday and go with them.

Really looking forwards to meeting you and I'll do my best to make your time with us as fun as can be!
2008-2013. I burned the world and broke player characters.

Now I am just a scrub.

CharlieP
I Remember the Rejection

Post by CharlieP » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:26 pm

For food go with sausage rolls and cereal bars, some fruit, salami, mini cheeses, crisps, nuts, chocolate etc.

You may be able to get hot water, so pot noodles and cup a soups are a possibility too.

It's probably only a carrier bag full.

Oh alcohol and cake for sharing will make you more popular ! :-)
Charlie

IC Lady Solitae Baen Itryn, Calaen Chronicler
OC Charlotte or Charlie, Also seamstress and first aider!

RIP Isthaniya, Cloud Fae,
RIP Lady Madeleine, Healer to the Royal house of Dilandau, King of Afacia

adudfield04
Passing through

Post by adudfield04 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:49 am

Oh awesome thanks Dan! I've managed to borrow a few things from a re-enacting friend of mine like a tunic etc. but I'll never say no to weapons! I like you. I'll kill you last. :)

Sweet I'll head to the shop tomorrow then and grab some stuff like that! And maybe a bottle of rum...

Also 1 last thing: There's no way I'm going to be able to remember everything about the world of Wyldefire and every rule from the documents. What would you say are the most important things to remember? Just so I know the basics and don't mess up too badly!