New to the LARPing scene in this area

A place for unregistered users to post and find out about Skully from the players. (Any opinions here are not necessarily that of Skullduggery LARP or the organisers)

Moderators: jony, Adam

lkenyon2692
Passing through

New to the LARPing scene in this area

Post by lkenyon2692 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi there, I've played in a few larps whilst at uni in Brighton and I'm looking to start playing in as many larps as I can find, I've missed it! Obviously this is a board for this larp (which i am really really excited to start playing, I get to use my bow!) and I'm looking forward to wyldfire too but does anyone here play any others in the area/suggest any? Also if anyone has any tips or suggestions for character creation and the like?
Liam

CharlieP
I Remember the Rejection

Re: New to the LARPing scene in this area

Post by CharlieP » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:33 am

The usual rules for any starting character in a new system is go for something generic, your standard explorer/ adventurer out to make a name for themselves. Learn the system, get to know a few people OC and IC and then you can always die gloriously and come back as something more specific with the next character.

Do you have any vague ideas of what you might like and then we can point you in the direction of people who might be useful!

The next event is Skullduggery classic, the rules are fairly easy to pick up. If you do want to use your bow you'll need to take a quick competency test but they're usually run Sat before time in anyway so that shouldn't be a problem.

Welcome to the madness!
Charlie

IC Lady Solitae Baen Itryn, Calaen Chronicler
OC Charlotte or Charlie, Also seamstress and first aider!

RIP Isthaniya, Cloud Fae,
RIP Lady Madeleine, Healer to the Royal house of Dilandau, King of Afacia

lkenyon2692
Passing through

Post by lkenyon2692 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:16 pm

I was considering an Elven Ranger,despite how easily that plays into a stereotype! Quick question though, am I right in assuming that I can take the weapon competency skills for sword and bow at character gen?
I knew about the bow competency test and was confident I'd pass but I'll still try to fit some practice in before I come along. Are there any costume restrictions outside of the racial identifiers?

mark
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Post by mark » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:16 am

Hi,

I'm Mark, I lead the main 'elven' faction in game. If you want to play a ranger I'd suggest coming to join my lot, the Malkon, so they can show you the ropes.
You can take both bow and one handed weapon skills at character generation.
Costume restrictions are specific to each sub class or nation of elves. The Tor'keth wear predominantly black, while the Wild Elves wear lots of greens and browns. Fringe elves can be pretty much anything costume wise, taking influences from elves and other races.
Hope that helps.
Playing Classic: Tyrel Turanion
Widower, warrior, leader.

"We will walk this new world with new purpose."

Wyldefire: Javed Ullah Jasved Ben Laughing Crow "The Drophammer"
Smith

lkenyon2692
Passing through

Post by lkenyon2692 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:52 am

Sounds good, coming in and joining a group seems more beneficial than trying to go solo. I'll have a read over the Malkon stuff and the different elf groups and stuff. This has been really helpful, thanks guys :D

shunteddd
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by shunteddd » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:17 pm

I can't believe it but I agree with mark.

That said, Everyone is friendly and people will show you the ropes no matter what you decide to play.
Jake Ellery/672

Wyldefyre:
Fasram~Ullah~Rahim~Baba~Chenned Kea
Skully classic: Resk - Fae- Dean of Agressive Apathy
Previous: Varren Kale, Avatar of Shar-Teel, honourguard to Arkan 3rd- Killed by the Blindness of Heroes

CharlieP
I Remember the Rejection

Post by CharlieP » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:32 am

Don't worry too much about the acres of history as we blew up the world (oops!) and a lot of the previous rivalries may not be entirely relevant.

You can either be a refugee from the last world, with memories of a hellish journey through a nightmare mist scape where you lost most of your friends and family, or an elf from the new world investigating these new people. Either way not knowing a lot is fine.

We're a friendly lot.

Charlie, also an elf at the moment.
Charlie

IC Lady Solitae Baen Itryn, Calaen Chronicler
OC Charlotte or Charlie, Also seamstress and first aider!

RIP Isthaniya, Cloud Fae,
RIP Lady Madeleine, Healer to the Royal house of Dilandau, King of Afacia

mark
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...

Post by mark » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am

I'm not sure if you are allowed to play an elf from the new world yet, as we haven't met any in game. From what I understand that will happen through plot, so it may be an idea to talk to the refs before you do so.
Playing Classic: Tyrel Turanion
Widower, warrior, leader.

"We will walk this new world with new purpose."

Wyldefire: Javed Ullah Jasved Ben Laughing Crow "The Drophammer"
Smith