The Orc story- getting to know your green skin neighbors!

A place for unregistered users to post and find out about Skully from the players. (Any opinions here are not necessarily that of Skullduggery LARP or the organisers)

Moderators: jony, Adam

LouisH
Been here a while

The Orc story- getting to know your green skin neighbors!

Post by LouisH » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:40 pm

I've started this thread to record the current situation of the Orc people at skully and customs that we develop.
I hope this should eventually lead to an Orc racial brief and we will have a clear identity of who the orcs are and what customs they respect.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions, please ask. This will be a collaborative work and I look forward to building the orc brief with you all.
Last edited by LouisH on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC: Fezlack of Fezlack's Finer Fings!

R.I.P: Maku 'Kin-Seeker'
OOC: Louis

LouisH
Been here a while

Re: The Orc story

Post by LouisH » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:49 pm

Since the old world's destruction, the orcs have had a very difficult time.

The goddess orcs, goblins and ogres had always worshipped turned out to be an evil puppet master god. The orcs were manipulated and summoned to war against the other races of the world, including the players at Skully.

From my perspective, the portals that allowed people to escape the old world to the new world were built in places like Afacia and Darkwood. The enemy orcs would have had very little chance to get through a portal, meaning most of the race probably remained trapped on the old world.

So our god is evil and probably about 80% of our race is dead. Good start right...

My own aim in character is to seek out orcs in this new world and have seen orcs inhabiting other worlds (although this remains to be confirmed). Returning to the old world might help save more orcs, but there is little hope. Apparently it was very much on fire when the player's left.

So we carry on, seeking out a new home and others of our kind.

LouisH
Been here a while

Post by LouisH » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:56 pm

This brings me on to the orcs and the other races.

As I mentioned, orcs were the enemy not long ago. Most of the other races were allies and so helped each other escape the destruction.

That doesn't mean we're still the enemy. We were lied to by the puppet master and we did not choose to go to war. My own view is that although we're not foes at the moment, we aren't friends either.

I feel wary about the other races, but that doesn't mean we are hostile. Just that if it's someone else's fight, we probably won't risk the few Orc lives we have to help them.

I hope our race will grow in the future and we can get some stability. Then we can be a true orc tribe and revel in great battles!
Last edited by LouisH on Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

LouisH
Been here a while

Post by LouisH » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:46 pm

To an Orc, nothing is more important than the tribe.
The tribe is a family, bound by blood or blood oath. Each member plays a role and together, the tribe prospers.

A tribe is traditionally run by a chieftain (male or female) who rules by respect and maintains their position by overcoming any challenge. Anyone within the tribe may challenge the chieftain for leadership, usually ritual combat, although this can vary between tribes and depending on the chieftain.
The basic nature of the challenge is 'fight-vote', the closest we orcs get to diplomacy. Each candidate steps forward and the rest of the tribe choose who they want to support and join their side. Each 'team' then fights and the winning side gets their candidate as chieftain.

We will also be creating a new role within the tribe at the next event (October 2016). We will attempt a ritual to reconnect with our ancestor spirits whom we lost contact with since the old world burned. We will ask the spirits to guide us from the afterlife, communicating with us via a tribe member elected as 'Voice of the Spirits'. The ritual will occur every Orc-tober (=P), with the spirits being able to choose a new voice if the so wish.

Both of these positions are designed to be open to anyone to challenge, depending on whether you have the support of the tribe. Even if the chief is a lv 7 character, they probably won't win a 'fight-vote' against multiple lower level characters.

If a tribe is destroyed, survivors may start new tribes. They could try to join a different Orc tribe, but this depends if the new orcs accept them.
Last edited by LouisH on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

LouisH
Been here a while

Post by LouisH » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:42 pm

And they shall know my name!

Choosing a name is often one of the most challenging parts of creating a Larp character. It's gonna be around as long as the character and everyone will shout it.

For orcs, we tend to use short names, and usually just the first name. Surnames are given by the tribe's chief and elders and must be earned through some great deed or accomplishment. These are designed to show off to other orcs and show that you have earnt the respect of your tribe.

bradbear
Passing through

Re: The Orc story- getting to know your green skin neighbors

Post by bradbear » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:25 am

I'm so looking forward to being an Orc :3

LouisH
Been here a while

Re: The Orc story- getting to know your green skin neighbors!

Post by LouisH » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Orc's don't have laws like other races. Different tribes have different morals so it's hard to pin down laws for the whole race. You just have to get to know the tribe your dealing with. Most will be polite and shout/ lightly bludgeon you as a warning before you go too far.
There are however, a few nearly universal 'things what'll get you dead/very badly beaten' that most orc's agree on.

1) Killing a tribe member.
Orc's treat tribe like family and to murder your kin is unforgivable. Orcs who aren't from your tribe are a different family and can be given a good death.
* Note: in game, murder would be using mortal blow to permanently kill another Orc. Taking them into their death count is fine, there's healers about...

2) Betraying your tribe.
Much like above, it's betraying your whole family. No opening gates for the enemy or revealing tribe secrets!

3) Lying to the voice of the spirits.
This cerimonial role speaks with the authority of honored ancestors. Lying to the voice is lying to the ancestors, a massive disrespect. Orcs don't tend to lie in general, but this is a serious case.

4) Fleeing to save your own skin.
Decide the fight isn't going well? Think you'll just run back to camp, let the others deal with it?
No! If your kin are fighting, you stand with them. Retreat can be an option, but that's up to the chief or battle commander. If you run, you run together.

5) Keeping a spirit or another Orc as a slave.
Orc philosophy is based around having the strength to take what you want from those weaker than you. To this end, slaves seem like a logical choice. To an Orc, loosing your freedom is worse than death. To inflict this on another Orc is wrong and to trap a spirit invites destruction.