Outrunner Rest.

A place for in character roleplay
nathan
I Remember the Rejection

Re: Outrunner Rest.

Post by nathan » Fri May 24, 2019 7:22 am

Buster spits on the floor in front of him and look directly to Viktor.
“Those are the answers of a child. This war is exactly about holding territory! Have you been paying no attention this whole time? We begun a war over territories and now people like you just want to throw those away!”

Buster takes a few deep breaths in an attempt to calm and focus himself, though it makes little difference to his anger.

“We MAY gain something from the city of scholars, but what do you expect that to be? I know that we will definitely lose lives, land, ritual power and tactical advantage in Siluria. Once that is gone there isn’t much to stop Afacia being the next target. And you’ve just filled that with frightened, hungry civilians.”

Buster shrugs and quietens his tone
“But this is your people’s war, not mine. Siluria already struggles and is ripe to fall.”

He opens his arms and gestures to all around, scanning everyone at the same time
“Only you can change this and save the land that was part of beginning this war. If we were willing to give it up so easily, why take it to begin with?”
Currently playing - Buster Hedgeminder, Blademaster and leader of the Malkon.

Partially retired - Pazar, Summer king and king of Fid'Nemith.

FOR DARKWOOD!!
BY CLAW AND BLOOD!!

Katie
Been here a while

Post by Katie » Fri May 24, 2019 7:29 am

“I know what war entails, young Edan. I have lived through many.
You clearly have been too engrossed in your book, rather than actually listening.
This war is all about holding territory, people still having homes to go back to at its conclusion. It is the f***ing reason we are in the situation in the first place!
We have fought the mist before, yes some may find it difficult but we know how to fight it.
We don’t know IF that broken city has what you think it might.
I don’t gamble lives and known facts on ifs, buts, maybes and chances of treasures.”
IC:
Asha Smoothleaf, Leader of the Malkon.
Defender of the Trees.
Head of the Healer's Guild.
"Who's this chucklef**k?"

OC: Katie

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Fri May 24, 2019 9:05 am

The Ensign for the most part was quiet, carefully counting through the numbers, the eyes dancing back and forth between the faces. There was another puff of their tobacco, before the gloved fingers pinched it and pulled it away. With an exhale they spoke, "I disagree Viktor. Only because of what I have learned while with these Free Peoples. War is about preservation, holding onto what is yours and not letting go. I..."

There was a small sigh and a slump of the shoulders, "I still do not agree with the choice of the South. We both know this. I think the northern heroic nature has rubbed off on me. But right now it is the way it is."

They returned to their smoking.
OOC: Jen M, 763 | Main SC: Ensign "Izahia Prussian Von Stavavitch", Hoch Katheder (Southern Alliance) | Past SC: Fallon Skylar, God Queen of the Silurians

"What can I say? Mother taught me to always be greedy."

Kassicus
Passing through

Post by Kassicus » Fri May 24, 2019 9:48 am

Viktor was about to reply, but stopped before the words even left his mouth. For the first time in a long time, he was speechless.

He looked towards Buster and Asha.

"I can see your points, you both clearly have the experiences of many lifetimes worth of conflict"

"However, what if we end up going to Siluria and losing it anyway? Yes, we get away with some of the civilians maybe, but we still lose the island, it's ritual circle and possibly even it's spirit. The city of Scholars contains knowledge of this world many can't even comprehend, the fact that we voted against using our most powerful resource against them goes to prove that we aren't committed to ending this, and will seek to prolong this endless conflict that we will eventually lose. By going to the City of Scholars, we're finding an alternative to ending this and if the sacrifice of one island is the price to pay for it, then so be it."

He paused for a second, thinking of something else to say.

"But I am no warrior, the concepts of honour and chivalry in battle are far beyond me, it seems to be a very northern concept. I have been taught to believe in results."

He put the book down and waited patiently for their response.
If it bleeds, we can kill it.
- Viktor Quaid, Qualified Scientist, Studying Applied Thanotology through the medium of violence.

David of Shea
Heard of Lands Veteran

Post by David of Shea » Fri May 24, 2019 4:24 pm

The professor emerges from the treeline and stands next to his fellow southerners, looking surprisingly exhausted, drained even. He leans heavily on his staff before finding a tree stump and gently lowering himself to sit.

"Shocking, simply shocking. That poor girl, all the running about she did, and not one of you offered her a drink or something to eat."

He whacks Viktor with his staff in the shin.

"Especially you, with all those damn bottles!"

He turns to look at the two elves.

"I'm a little surprised at your choice. It makes me think a little better of you. You speak of territory and defense, as if this will be a conventional war, fought against someone who will eventually decide enough is enough and sue for peace. That is a choice we can make, yes. But if we fight a war on those terms, then all we will ever do is, at best, lose slowly."

He shrugs.

"It is a simple fact that the mists have more soldiers, more resources, and better ability to move those resources, than we will ever have. We can expand in one direction, yes, and lose ground on two other fronts, and the mists will gain. We can make new territory, carve out new circles, and while our back is turned, lose one elsewhere in an established city"

He narrows his eyes as he looks at Buster and Asha

"You see? No amount of victories piled high, no number of enemy skulls cracked, will convince this foe, the Mist Queen to stop fighting. She can afford to waste a million lives to claim back territory. The mists are depth-less, endless, a truly bottomless resource. I called her, to her face, the Queen of Everything that Isn't, and she agreed with that assessment of what she owns."

He smiles and shrugs again.

"We go to Siluria. We win. What next? We go to Nosque, to Darkwood, to the dragonlands, the south, the north, the east, the west. . .then back to Siluria, then back to Nosque, then darkwood. . . on and on for as long as our immortal foe wants. We will grow old and die in our traces fighting this war conventionally."

He stands again.

"So yes, we gamble. The stakes are large, the odds, long. But in my opinion, the risks are worth it."
Now playing: Ult Ramarine, Professor of Unusual Geography, University of Hoch Katheder.

"To say we cannot is lazy. We cannot do this, we cannot do that, we cannot know this. I know that we can."

Kassicus
Passing through

Post by Kassicus » Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 pm

Viktor was surprised to see the Professor, but he was pleased to see him. Bottle in hand, he drank the rest of it in one go.

The impact of the staff made a satisfying clank against his shin, the sound reverberated around the clearing.

"Ah! Yes, yes my apologies Professor" he said, reacting to the hit. He quickly searched through the cart, pulled out another bottle and outstretched his arm in the direction of the Ensign.

"Care for a drink, Iza?

Viktor listened to the Professor as he spoke, nodding in agreement.
- Viktor Quaid, Qualified Scientist, Studying Applied Thanotology through the medium of violence.

Jester
Defender of the HOL

Post by Jester » Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 pm

Fickle had been observing the debate with interest, her eyes twinkle with curiosity at the southerners.

She finds a tree to lean against and finds a cigarette about her to smoke while she watches intensely.
"Fortune has a fickle heart and a short memory"

IC: Fickle of House Clematis

OOC: Sabrina or Bea

nathan
I Remember the Rejection

Post by nathan » Sat May 25, 2019 4:15 pm

Buster smiles and nods as the Ensign replies
"Well, I applaud the fact that you listen to the words of your people and do not just vote for yourself. I am just sad that the rest of your people cannot see the correct way."

He turns back to Viktor and attempts to soften his previously harsher tone.
"Now you see, we could go anywhere and lose. So that point means nothing. And if you think I want to go there in case it gives us a chance of saving civilians and the circle spirit, then you've either not paid attention or your leaders have not done a good job of informing you. When we concede territory to Etsuko and the mist, we have a small time to get the circle spirit to safety and also civilians are allowed to leave so long as they do not resist. Not that I think any are left on the island anyway."

He lets out a deep sigh and scratches his head, before a single hand lays naturally back on to the hilt of his sword.
"What alternative do we expect to find in the city of scholars? We left it free for destruction when we rebuilt Afacia. There's nothing of worth there, unless it has been brought to a ruin since we left and then somehow NOT corrupted or destroyed by the mist. Etsuko is not one to leave information just laying around."

Silence descends as the professor emerges from the trees, Buster simply watches the exchange between the two Southerners with a curiousness becoming evident across his face
"Why are you surprised at our choice? We all here are allies, by one link or another and their land is the best tactical choice. I have fought plenty of wars against insurmountable foes, yet here I stand. We need to look for weakness, not clutch at dreams of powerful artefacts."

Buster's face tightens and his tone changes to one of anger at the mention of the mist queen
"For an academic you are rather stupid. I have been through this with all of you many times. We fight with ETSUKO and not this mist queen that you all keep mentioning, remember that and do some good. Names are power. We Win in Siluria and fortify the land so that it will not simply be taken with our backs turned, it is not difficult. Of course we go to Nosque if they need us, but they have troops and the land to their advantage. Some of you may grow old and die, but this war will not be over whilst I stand."

Another sigh and a shrug of the shoulders.
"But of course, you're willing to gamble with the lives of others. Did what you could to save your own lands in that meeting, didn't try to help anyone else. Now you continue to seek items for your own gain. You are the classic embodiment of Edan and the perfect reminder of why I never trusted your kind before. Gamble with things that are your own, not the lives of other races. The Silurians beg for our help, or as close as their pride lets them, and you spit on them. Disgusting."

FOR DARKWOOD!!
BY CLAW AND BLOOD!!

David of Shea
Heard of Lands Veteran

Post by David of Shea » Sun May 26, 2019 9:22 pm

"Ah, the insults and casual racism start. Well done Buster, your predictable pursuit of the bottom of barrel is truly your most charming feature."

The professor claps lightly.

"For an ageless immortal super-warrior, I'd think you'd have learned a little caution. You seem overeagre to give The Mist Queen an infinite plethora of chances to kill you and Ashur and put the dark wood in jeopardy of invasion. I suppose that's par for the course, considering your insistence that if one must gamble with lives, it should be the lives of your people"

The professors face darkens as he continued.

"If you think I'm happy about potentially sacrificing my friends and colleagues, then let me disabuse you. I want to save Siluria, I want to save the world. The city of scholars contained lost secrets and knowledge, possibly even the weakness you witter on about, before you interlopers from another world decided another circle and it's community had to die. We wouldn't even need to go there, if not for the actions of you and yours. Each army the mist queen wields comes from your reality, or was born from your actions directly. Oh, and lest we forget, you made The Mist Queen. The Mist King was a feral animal, dangerous but predictable. You gave the mists true intelligence and focus."

He sneers.

"But you see Buster, I was willing to forget all that. I was willing to let old things lie in the face of a common foe. But I realise now you still don't see that thing as our foe. You still don't see the people of this world as your equal partners. Use it's name as much as you like. You can even build a quaint little monument to it's memory. After I exterminate it, and every mist tainted monster it controls. Because I have no intention of fighting some stupid forever war against a literally endless foe. I intend to win, and by winning, save lives."

He bows.

"Have a good day, my elven friend. And leave it to the people of this world to fix the problems you brought with you."

He turns on his heels, and walks back towards the ritual circle.
Now playing: Ult Ramarine, Professor of Unusual Geography, University of Hoch Katheder.

"To say we cannot is lazy. We cannot do this, we cannot do that, we cannot know this. I know that we can."

nathan
I Remember the Rejection

Post by nathan » Sun May 26, 2019 9:32 pm

Buster simply smiles and shakes his head
“What do you feel as though you could exterminate on your own? You had to be saved by ME from a single Deagan warrior. You can’t even defend yourself, let alone the world.”

Buster shrugs as the professor turns to leave
“Be my guest, you fix the problems in this world. I have told you all the solution to this problem, if you would only listen, instead of always thinking you are correct.”

FOR DARKWOOD!!
BY CLAW AND BLOOD!!

Kassicus
Passing through

Post by Kassicus » Sun May 26, 2019 11:02 pm

Viktor lets out a loud burst of laughter.

"The correct way?"

He sits forward, pointing a gauntlet clad finger towards Buster.

"The correct way to go about this would to be to make sure it never threatens us again, by wiping it out, utterly, completely."

Viktor dragged his finger across his throat.

"It's as simple as that, it's been proven that negotiation has failed, the other options we have tried have ultimately failed, and now the face of death is staring at us, yet again. It will never give up, it's a mindless animal, gifted with a devious, manipulative intelligence."

Viktor spits on the ground.

"We will put it down like the mongrel animal it is, Etsuko or not, whoever you once knew is gone, it's a puppet now."

Viktor threw his fist downward hard, splintering the wood on the seat beside him, and a dark smile emerged on his face.

"You know what? I've just had an epiphany, maybe I'll write a paper about how much pain it can go through before it finally expires, I look forward to hearing it scream."

"Driver, it's time we moved on, I'm done arguing now. Iza, please feel free to get aboard, I could use with some intelligent conversation"

The cart started slowly pulling away.

nathan
I Remember the Rejection

Post by nathan » Sun May 26, 2019 11:54 pm

“If you think that negotiation has failed, then you’ve not paid attention, child. You’re certainly an interesting one, I think the alcohol has gotten to your brain.”

Buster waves away the cart and turns to those still present
“This is how those that live with dreams of grandeur, think and present themselves. The faces of our grand allies.”

He takes a seat upon the floor and sighs
“Anyone else wish to embolden themselves and show how little they’ve listened?”

FOR DARKWOOD!!
BY CLAW AND BLOOD!!

Katie
Been here a while

Post by Katie » Mon May 27, 2019 12:02 am

Asha laughs.
“I wonder where this information has come from? The knowledge that they think lies within the city, the Silurians have. Sat in their homeland.”
She shakes her head as she laughs again, looking to Buster as the humans leave in their sulks.
“What is its name again? Something.... something KNOWLEDGE?”
Her laugh grows louder and begins to echo through the woods.
“I hope they do not trip on a rouge root on their way out of our woods.” She grins, and sits with Buster.
IC:
Defender of the Trees.

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Mon May 27, 2019 8:25 am

Another puff, the embers of their smoke were dying as they watched. They rubbed the smears from their glasses, expression turning into a frown. A shake of the head at some points, nods at others, they quietly spoke, "I apologise for the manners of my peers. These are trying times for them, for all of us."

The Ensign pushed the glasses back in place, "I do not know if there is a true right way. I still do not know if we have found it. The only truth I do know is that we in the South, we New Worlders as I have been called, have been fighting and pushing back the mists for longer than our histories were recorded; and we are very tired."

The embers died and the rest was snuffed out against a bracer. They called back to Viktor, "Ja, I'm coming. Just a moment."

"But that is the Edan in me prattling. One way or another, a way will be found and we shall act upon it. For better or for worse," a snort, "After all, are we not in the presence of brave adventurers and heroes from a burning world?"

"Anyway, I should be off before they get stuck in a ditch," they gave a salute to the Elves, "Safe travels."

And with a pivot heel turn the Ensign was off after the cart and the rest of the Southerners.
OOC: Jen M, 763 | Main SC: Ensign "Izahia Prussian Von Stavavitch", Hoch Katheder (Southern Alliance) | Past SC: Fallon Skylar, God Queen of the Silurians

"What can I say? Mother taught me to always be greedy."

Katie
Been here a while

Post by Katie » Mon May 27, 2019 1:05 pm

Asha nods to the Ensign.
“At least they have you, you’ve been listening!” She smiles and nods again before Iza leaves.
“Be careful, I’ve told you before these woods have a mind of their own..” she winks and waves the Ensign off.
IC:
Defender of the Trees.