Ever Vigilant

A place for in character roleplay
Rolandz
Been here a while

Ever Vigilant

Post by Rolandz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Duncan slowly trudged back towards the church after having spent the morning at the forge, knowing that the day’s labours had only just started. The sack of chain shirts he had repaired, which now were slung across his back didn’t make the walk any easier.
He put the sack on the floor briefly. He knew he was only a few streets away but he liked this part of the city. This section was one of the oldest parts of the city, though many of the houses had been rebuilt due to one catastrophe or another, now long forgot. Others there were older, made of ancient stone and would surely stay through many more. It was places like this that made him lighten up a little. All the talk of impending doom and battles to end the world were laughed at by the strength of the foundation of these buildings. It felt as though they have stood here for a thousand years and would stand for a thousand more, but there was little time to dwell on these matters when he had a chapter house to run smoothly and new recruits to put through their paces.
So he hoisted the sack once more onto its back and continued the journey. As he walked he noticed that the streets were just a little more deserted then they were usually this time of day. It had been like this for a few weeks now. There were still the usual street vendors selling their wares but on the whole it was a little quiet. Duncan mused that it must have something to do with Kings recent decisions. “If only they realised how often they had been saved by the decisions made at the top” he thought, “but I guess all they care about is their mundane lives and not the greater good of Afacia.”
He rounded the final corner to the Church of Akarne that had been given to the order for their use by the King a few weeks earlier. The Church complex included four outbuildings which at the moment housed the knights of the order. They were not in used when the order first arrived and it took a week and a half to just get the holes in the roofs fixed. The stable block was located at the back of the complex and was large enough to house fifty horses but at the moment only housed seven and a variety of other farm animals. He would have loved to keep the chickens in there as well but every time they were rounded up they found a new hole in the walls somewhere to escape. So for the most part they roamed around the grounds. This pleased the monks with their herb gardens no end. There were only ten monks attending this enormous church complex which would also explain the dilapidated state the order found it in. Still the monks were not too put out by the orders arrival there still went about their daily business without much interruptions.
The church itself stood well above the other buildings its two massive spires standing as centres for the heavy oaken door that led to the main nave. There were other entrances towards the rear of the church. These led to the rooms now used as the main barracks, kitchens and store rooms that were all part of the main church. The church was a deceptive building with the nave only taking up a third of the building and the rest all being living quarters. At one time it would have housed hundreds of monks.
Duncan approached the small guard house which faced the side of the church. It always amused him that there was a guard house with the wall surrounding the complex only being four feet high. They had posted two of the man at arms at the house itself which the rest of the watch walking the perimeter. The guards watched him approach and stood aside to let him pass, he offered them a curtious nod and passed through the archway.
There were a few new recruits in the yard training with sword and shield. The amount of mistakes they were making made him wince but there was no time for this now. He made a mental note of who they were, to put them through their paces later.
He entered the door which would lead him to the orders armoury. It was the best guarded room in the whole complex. The barracks were to the rear of the armoury with three entrances leading to them. Then there were two doors that lead to small anti rooms and then the main yard. Duncan briefly spoke to the guard and logged the mail shirts back in.
This afternoons labours would be clearing yet another old store room of its contents of rotten wood, old shipping crates and other paraphernalia that may have had a purpose at one point in time but now only served to feed the fire to the back of the yard.
A few hours into the cleaning the whole room looked a lot cleaner and he even discovered a small window at the back of the room which was hidden at the back of the room by a large wardrobe which almost crumbled when he opened it. The wardrobe was obviously used as a linen closet at some point. Most of the cloth had rotted but one piece was almost whole. Duncan immediately knew what it was as he slowly unfolded the tarnished white fabric. He could not belief that one of Akarnes Holy banners could just be abandoned in the depths, among soiled and moth ridden bed clothes.

Nate
Sleep never fell upon his eyes; but he kept sure watch always

Re: Ever Vigilant

Post by Nate » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:28 am

*The faint sound of a horse on cobbled streets can be heard outside. A man dismounts, speaking quietly to one of the brothers before. He is garbed in plate and mail, a large shield on one arm and a warhammer on his belt. Footsteps approach the storeroom, getting louder as they echo throughout the mostly abandoned building, and the man knocks on the door. The man grins, and steps foward proferring his hand.*

Good afternoon, would ye be Sergeant Mohrville? I be Father Gregor, I believe you've been expecting me?
Nathan Hoyle - Event Organiser and Coordinator

admin (at) skullduggerylarp.co.uk

Rolandz
Been here a while

Post by Rolandz » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 pm

“About bloody time” Duncan waited for a moment, to see if there was some reaction. When there was none that the Sargent could see, he extended his hand and cracked a smile.
“It’s good to have with us, Father. It’s been almost three weeks since Brother Jacob has been taken ill. I hope it he pulls through to enjoy some of his retirement.”
“Let me show you to your quarters, Sir Alistair had me set one of the rooms in his house set aside for you. It’s not much but it will serve.”
Duncan briefly returned to the cupboard he’d been cleaning and gently lifted the banner he had found. First finding this artefact (as far as Duncan saw it) and a Priest of Akarne showing up at the same moment. Maybe today is going to be a good day after all.
“Look at this Father.” Duncan showed Gregor the remains of the Banner.
"It never fails to amaze me how little respect some people have for the God that made them. Now don’t get me wrong, I know we are not a religious order and there are members of other faiths in the order, but this is a Church of Akarne in the centre of Afacia.”
“It really is good to have you with us!”
“I’ll take this too someone who I’m sure will bring it back the edge.”
Duncan turned and left the room he’d been cleaning for the most of the day and beckoned the newly arrived Priest to join him.
“Sir Alistair will want to see you once you’ve settled in.”
Duncan led Gregor across the yard to the largest one of the outhouses and to his first floor room. He left the Priest to his unpacking.
Last edited by Rolandz on Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Eloise sat on a plain wooden chair, at a plain wooden table to one side of her chamber.

Her chamber was little more than a monk’s cell, with pallet bed, table and chair and one tapestry, depicting a long forgotten battle. The room was perfect for a member of the Order of the White Rose and suited her perfectly.

This afternoon’s activities were, considered by some, more ladylike but Eloise liked to think that she did much of the mending and sewing because she was good at it. Not that any of the new recruits would ever now call anything “Women’s work”. Not after she had rounded them up that morning to clean out the barracks and one of them had laughed.

Eloise chuckled to herself at the memory. People never ever underestimated her brother Alistair, and rarely underestimated his closest friend and Sergeant at Arms, Duncan, but her, sometimes, some men saw her as just a woman. And sometimes she let them. This was not one of those times.

“Women’s work?” Eloise had smiled at the recruit, turned her back to him, still smiling, and had selected a long-handled carpet beater leaning against the wall. “Cleaning is women’s work you say?” she repeated, still with a smile and with a dangerous glint in her eye. Some of the brighter recruits stepped away from the one who had dared to suggest that he shouldn’t help.

“Humility is a lesson we all need to learn” Eloise spoke from memory and hefted the carpet beater. The recruits looked nervous. “We are all equal in the eyes of Akarne and will do the work that needs doing, when it needs doing.”

Eloise took a firm grip of the handle and swung, hard against the back of the recruit’s legs. He went down like a sack of gravel. “Pride comes before a fall” She stated firmly, not smiling now and smacked him hard on the backside with the flat part. The other recruits winced.

“Beating carpets will strengthen the muscles you need to swing a sword or staff and to give yourself enough stamina to wear armour.” Eloise had raised her voice to speak to all the recruits now. “Cleaning teaches us humility and that we are here to serve. Now, get a brush, mop, bucket and beater and come with me.”

The recruits had spent the next hours working harder than they had ever worked on the training grounds or in their mother’s houses. The floors shone, the walls gleamed and not a trace of dirt remained. The recruit that Eloise had floored, had worked the hardest, and was nearly dropping with fatigue when she called the work to a stop and sent them to get some lunch.

And now Eloise was sitting sewing.

Both her door and the shutters on her window were flung wide, allowing the breeze to drift gently through her room.

The pile of mending on the table was getting smaller slowly and Eloise relaxed in the peace.

Finishing the line of stitching, Eloise held her brother’s shirt up to the light. The mend could only just be seen, and she was smiling with the satisfaction of a job well done, when there was a knock on her door.

Standing in the doorway was Duncan Morville, Sergeant at Arms of the order, gently cradling what seemed at first glance to be a rather tatty piece of fabric. Duncan gently unfolded it and let it hang it’s full length in front of them.

Eloise’s eyes widened and she breathed in awe as, in front of her, hung the somewhat tatty but no less recognisable for that, banner of Akarne. Seriously in need of some attention.

After some closer inspection and some lengthy discussion. The two found that the damage was mostly cosmetic and that the fabric, although in need of a new edging and a few stitches here and there, was made to last.

“Leave it with me” Eloise nodded. “I’ll have this stitched up and the mending done by the end of the day. Then you can have a look at getting it hung back up.” She sat down at the table and started pulling out pins needles and thread.

Duncan smiled and left the room, unnoticed by Eloise, who was already deep in concentration. The look on her face was unusually serene as she worked and unbidden, un-noticed even, she started singing quietly as she worked. “Lift up your hearts, Afaicia’s friends and taste the pleasure Akarne sends…”
Previously:
Eloise Neville
Order of the White Rose, Ever Vigilant
speak softly and carry a big stick
OOC Charlie

Nate

Post by Nate » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:38 am

*Gregor smiles

Don't worry about the room son, if it has at least three walls I'll no be complaining. I don't have much gear, think I'm already carrying it all...

*Gregor looks at the banner, and sighs*

Alas, this is too common these days. Much like the faith of the masses, it has been allowed to hide in a corner and spoil over the years. One can hardly blame the banner though, it's up to good men and women to see that it sees the light once more.

*Gregor grins crookedly*

How about you see to the banner, and I'll see to the masses then? Pretty sure that's written into my role at least...

*Gregor follows Duncan out of the room to his quarters, and scans it briefly with his eyes*

This is more than acceptable, thankye. I'll just freshen myself up, and I'll go see Ser Alistair once my room is in order and I'm a bit less dusty. Akarne be with you, my son.

SimonB
Passing through

Post by SimonB » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:24 am

The ache in his shoulders felt good, a dull pain that was not so much a warning rather a reminder of honest toil in a good cause. Rolling them once or twice to stop them seizing he went back to his current work, the cloth working in meticulous circles on the burnished steel resting on his knee. With a care that was not evident in his everyday manner, but well known to those that knew him, he removed the last of the sand and oil from the pauldron. After a critical look to check for rust he replaced it on the stand.
In the guttering candle his plate stood respite and gleaming, its metal polished to almost new, reflecting and increasing the meagre light to near dizzying brightness in the gloom. Duncan or his sister would see that as some kind of metaphor for the order itself, Alistair saw it as part of the tools he needed to fulfil his oaths and ensure the charter of the Rose. At that thought his face took on a more serious cast, his oaths had some how become political of late, a realm in which the subtle mind of his sister, or indeed the quietly observant nature of Duncan, where far more suited. He was simpler man, give him a foe to fight, men to inspire and honour to uphold.
Yet the order was resurrected, his actions had been instrumental in its resurgence and thus a responsibility was now lain at his feet. Until the recruits were ready, until there were more knights than the meagre few that currently wore the rose, until the force that charter required was at full strength, until Afacia its self was safe then that responsibility would not end. Alistair was a Neville, a family that had debt to pay, a debt he fully intended not to fail in.
With a smile he set out to the practice yard, the church was rapidly becoming to feel like home, a chapter house of which they could all be proud. Once Ser Gregor arrived and Trask came back from his business dealings they could really put the place to rights.

Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:27 pm

*It takes Gregor but a short time to get his meager belongings in place. His armour he racks up, eyeing it and sighing at the small scratches that he had picked up on his travels. Tonight's job was already decided. After emptying his few spare clothes into a chest, and laying out his half a dozen books on the table, he rebelts his warhammer, and after laying his mantle over his shoulders he heads out into the practice yard, intending to see Ser Alistair in his office. But as he looks around he sees two figures sparring, one is clearly a novice and the other is unmistakably a knight, by his bearing and skill at arms. He also closely matches the description given to him of Ser Alistair, so with a faint smile the priest moves to one side and watches a short time, awaiting the end of the bout to speak to the knight.*

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:58 am

Eloise Neville, Leader of the Cups of the Order of the White Rose, Diplomat and fighter, spinner of words and defender of Afaica, swore. Unimaginatively and loudly.

The first thing she had done, when the fight had ended and the Goblins had retreated, was to find a bath house. The owners had been more than happy to accommodate her as soon as they saw the rose on her chest and realised that she was one of those who had organised the rescue of Sherriff Carter and her armour and clothes had been taken for cleaning. Her staff, however, rested against the wall. Just in case.

The fighting had been hard and bloody. She was covered; head to toe in bits of goblin and her long blond plait was matted with goo. A bath was very necessary.

Eloise sank further into the bath and swore again, this time less loudly, as the hot bath water seeped into small cuts and washed bruises she didn’t even realise she had.

When she had soaked her tired muscles for long enough she turned her attention to her hair, thoroughly soaping it and rinsing it, leaving trails of browny-green water to run down the channels that lead to the sewer pipes.

Once Eloise was certain she had cleansed herself of every last trace of goblin, she rinsed one last time and stepped out of the bath, wrapping herself in large bathsheet. She dried herself vigorously, applied salves to the most aching parts, and dressed herself in the simple shift that she had brought for that purpose. She ran her fingers through her hair leaving it loose to dry, found the owner of the bath house and uttered her thanks. She collected her armour in a bag and adding instructions to have her clothes sent to the Afaician camp when they had been cleaned.

Feeling more human than she had in days, Eloise strode back to the camp and, hearing voices in the Afacian tent, quietly slipped through the entrance and smiled at the occupants.
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:22 am

The discussions had gone on late into the night until there was nothing more to be discussed and only actions to be taken.

Eloise had left the palace and gone straight to the chapter house and to her brother’s rooms. The room was sparsely decorated, with one armour stand in with a chain shirt on and the other, empty, stark and strange.

She lit the candles and looked at the large desk that he had never used. It had been put in for Eloise’s use, for him to dictate letters to her and for her to use for paperwork that needed to be kept by the head of the order. Now it sat empty and beckoned to her.

She sat down in the wooden chair, which had been made wide enough for someone in plate, and stared at the green leather. She closed her eyes for a moment before shaking her head and getting out her writing implements and several sheets of paper.

She dipped the pen and started the first letter…

“I Eloise Neville, being the last surviving legitimate heir of the once great House of Neville…”
She finished it quickly and put it aside for Father Gregor to counter sign later and started on the second.

“To His Grace, King Marius Dilandau, From Eloise Neville, Temporary Head of The Order of the White Rose

Your Grace, I would crave a boon…”

This took longer in composing, with several long pauses as she thought of the right words to use and the right way to frame her request. When she finally finished it the candles had burnt low and the sun was starting to rise outside the window.

She sealed the letter, addressed it and put it to one side for delivery. She carefully washed the nib of her pen and dried it, sealed the ink again and put both away in a drawer.

The dark circles under her eyes showed clearly as she rubbed her face and then rested her head on the desk. It took only a second before she had fallen asleep where she sat.
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie

Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:53 am

*Meanwhile, Father Gregor returns late to the order, clad once again in plate and maille, with hammer and shield. Despite his many jokes on the matter, the church had readily restored to him the requisite items of his trade that had been left behind, and had even been both sympathetic and impressed as he recounted what had happened. Though the Book of Akarne was still safe and secure underneath his tunic, strapped to him by bandages. He smiled faintly, noting the small hole in the leatherbound book where it had stopped a knife, but the smile faded as the rest of the day went through his mind.

In his small quarters within the chapterhouse, he slowly removed his armour once again, placing it on the stand with his hammer and shield. After staring at his bed for a long moment, he shakes his head faintly, and heads to the small chapel. Unlocking and entering, he notes with approval that the wardens have kept the place neat and dust-free, and he lights all the candles he can find, illuminating the chapel almost as bright as day. And in front of the altar, on the cold stone, Gregor kneeled and began to pray.*

Alison
Defender of the HOL

Post by Alison » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 am

Lissa made her way across the city from the circle where she had said her farewells to Scale, slowed both by immense weariness and the need to stop at intervals to ask for directions. In spite of this it was still early morning when she reached the chapterhouse.

Only as she approached the guard at the gate and saw the look of suspicion and disdain that appeared on his face did she realise how she must appear - face drawn and eyes dark with exhaustion, damaged armour still mostly concealed under tattered and bloodstained clothes. It would have been better to have gone elsewhere and rested, cleaned up a little, before presenting herself here but the turmoil of her thoughts, torn between returning to the Pack or staying to offer her help here, had stopped her from thinking of that.

The guard stepped forward officiously: "What's your business here?"

"I hoped to speak with Eloise, if she has returned."

"Lady Eloise is within, but I'll not disturb her at such an early hour. Leave your name and come back later."

"Lissa. My name is Lissa. And..." she pointed to a spot just along the wall where, to judge by the stray cat basking, the early morning sun was managing to warm the stones a little, "I'll be right there". Ignoring his scowl she wandered over and settled herself on the ground with an apology to the affronted cat that she displaced. Leaning back against the wall she finally succumbed to her exhaustion and was asleep almost instantly.
Classic IC: Hrafnhildur Eriksdottir of the Iron Ravens
RIP Mere, fae of wood and water
RIP Lissa of the White Rose
Wyldefire IC: Nasreen ullah Ardshir ibnu Jau'an Shaghal

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Eloise woke with a start and for a few seconds couldn’t work out where she was. As the events of the last few days came back to her, she sat bolt upright, rubbed her eyes and looked around.

The sun was high in the sky. Someone had obviously been in while she slept as there was a plate of cold meats and bread next to a pitcher of liquid and her letter to the King had been removed.

She looked down at the tattered robes and armour with distaste, stripping them off quickly, leaving the shirt and leather trousers, still covered in blood and mud…

Ignoring the food for now, Eloise opened the door to the chamber and looked out, collaring the first person to walk past with a sharp “Report”.

She nodded slowly when she received the whereabouts of Father Gregor, took in the reports of the others and frowned at the last “And there was a woman, scruffy looking, asking after you. She was told we wouldn’t wake you and sat down outside”.

“Is she still there?” Eloise responded, making the guard nervous with the anger shown so clearly on what was usually so cheerful a face. He nodded mutely and relaxed swiftly as Eloise departed hastily; leaving him to think that he might have done better letting the woman in.

Outside, Eloise crouched in front of Lissa, touching her gently on the arm to wake her. As Lissa’s eyes opened, Eloise smiled. “Join me for breakfast?”
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie

Alison
Defender of the HOL

Post by Alison » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Lissa woke with a start, then relaxed on seeing the familiar face and returned the smile. "Good morning. Yes, breakfast would be most welcome - I was hoping for a chance to speak with you"

Easing the kinks from her neck and shoulders she scanned Eloise's face to see how she was coping, trying not make her scrutiny obvious, then lurched to her feet, stiff and clumsy from sleeping on the cold stone.

She checked about herself to be sure she had not dropped anything in the process, then waited for Eloise to lead the way.
Classic IC: Hrafnhildur Eriksdottir of the Iron Ravens
RIP Mere, fae of wood and water
RIP Lissa of the White Rose
Wyldefire IC: Nasreen ullah Ardshir ibnu Jau'an Shaghal

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:11 pm

StephenReynolds wrote:...He found a similar scene near the catacombs although there were no where near enough guards close to either location for his liking considering the threat. Although it had been less than 24 hours since their return and Scale knew how long the Afacian diplomatic process took to move anything. Crash would be an old grey haired Beastkin before all the Nobles would agree on an action.

Scale let his feet lead him...
...Scales feet were heavy it was an effort to move and his vision swirled in front of him, his concentration shot. After hours of fruitless wandering his feet led him to one of the only other places he knew.

The Chapter House of the White Rose looked quiet and solemn no doubt in honour of their fallen leader. Scale approached the guardsman on the gate.

"I'd like to speak to...speak to Trask..." Scale said his voice heavy and his speach punctuated by a yawn. Scales vision was now down to a virtually a slit unable to see or concentrate on anything outside of the guardsman and the livery he wore. He was practically asleep on his feet.

Rolandz
Been here a while

Post by Rolandz » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:22 pm

It felt like Duncan had not slept for days. When he tried to recall the events of the last day, they seemed to flash be in a frenzied haze. The destruction of strange war machines, the charge through enemy held territory and finally the escape through the portal which lead them home to Afacia.
That’s when things slowed down; Duncan had followed Father Gregor through the portal. When he finally got to his feet and turned around he saw Trask practically fall through the portal. The next few moments almost happened in slow motion. Sir Alistair almost stepped through the portal when he was swallowed by a swarm of fanatic guards and within a second he was gone.

It was these thoughts that kept going through his mind, Duncan knew there was nothing he could have done to safe the Leader of his Order, his friend but still…

At least there were a plethora of things to keep the Sargent busy. He had inspected the stores, mustered and inspected the men at arms, which he was sure they loved at one in the morning but if there was one thing he didn’t care about at the morning it was the feeling of his guards. They would be plenty of time to rest once this war was won.

Duncan wanted to make on more sweep of the Chapter House’s perimeter before he turned in. When he reached the front of the church he saw what appeared to be a nearly dead on his feet Scales at the front gate.

“Guards, this man has the hospitality and protection of the order! He is one of the twelve.”

Duncan warmly embraced the beastkin and led him towards the Chapter House.

“Let me set up some quarters for you, let’s break some bread and then get some much needed and deserved rest.”