Ever Vigilant

A place for in character roleplay
johnhunter
Passing through

Re: Ever Vigilant

Post by johnhunter » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:26 pm

John awoke, his head cracking and the taste of ashes and vomit on his tongue. He tried to sit but his body would not respond and his stomach rebelled. He lay for a dizzying moment and squinted his eyes open against the daylight, surveying the filth and detritus of his alley bed. He tried once more to stand, this time making it to his hands and knees and then slowly, so slowly onto his feet. Once up he gingerly brushed the filth from his clothing with his hand and staggered into the street, reeling slightly and bumping into a stall vendor who tutted and glared at the stinking drunkard.

John looked at the portly, coiffed vendor..

'S'matter ya fat b'stard... 'm a soldier... a bloody soldier... we die fer people like you.. we sit in mud an' bleed our guts out you... you'

John sobbed but the vendor just stood and sneered down at him. He straightened looking at the soft skinned man and then with a short hard jab punched him once in the face with his left fist. the man squealed as he fell to the floor blood squirting from his nose and john began to roundly lay about him with his right foot, kicking him in a business like fashion across his back and buttocks.

When the city guard came John was still kicking...
One of the twelve

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:17 pm

With a clatter of metal Scale found himself at the bottom of a heap of armour.

"Ouch." He said rather matter of factly. Pushing the equipment aside he tried to rise to his feet, becmae tangled in an armour strap and fell over once again.

"Well we're certianly showing these Afacian City dwellers than followers of the Greenman are sure footed." Said Scale from his position back on the floor. A hint of humour in his voice. "Maybe I'll just lie here a bit longer, if the metal heats up in this Sun it could be quite pleasant."

Rolandz
Been here a while

Post by Rolandz » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:55 pm

*Back in the training yard, Duncan smiled at Gregor and put a friendly hand on his shoulder.

“Thanks Father, I know what you are hinting at but I’ve lost commanders and friends before. Both in the field and off. Though I have to admit Alistair’s loss has hit me harder than others but I’m sure I’ll make it through this without causing too much of a scene.”

He turned and looked towards the recruits going through their training exercises.

“I sure hope we will be ready before the first wave hits”

Nate
Sleep never fell upon his eyes; but he kept sure watch always

Post by Nate » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 pm

* Gregor smiles faintly*

I'm not hinting at anything my son, I don't hint, in case I'm misunderstood. But I'm glad you're fine.

*Gregor turns to watch the men, wincing as one man botches a parry*

We'll be ready Duncan. We don't have any other choice. No matter what happens though, Afacia will be done proud by her men.

*A man in the livery of the city guard is brought over, and he addresses Duncan.*

Sergeant, a man wearing the Rose is in the Watches custody. Seems he beat up a merchant, and half a squad of guards who tried to arrest him...
Nathan Hoyle - Event Organiser and Coordinator

admin (at) skullduggerylarp.co.uk

Alison
Defender of the HOL

Post by Alison » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Lissa gathered her armour up into a pile and offered Scale a hand up apologetically. "Sorry Scale - I'm rather out of practice with skirts. It's a good job we're no longer relying on our stealth! I wasn't going to disturb you if you were meditating, but since I seem to have done so now anyway... have you heard any news of the Pack? "
Classic IC: Hrafnhildur Eriksdottir of the Iron Ravens
RIP Mere, fae of wood and water
RIP Lissa of the White Rose
Wyldefire IC: Nasreen ullah Ardshir ibnu Jau'an Shaghal

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:22 am

The Order of the White Rose had developed a good relationship with the city guard in the year since they had moved into the new chapter house, so when Eloise saw the look on the city guard's face as he spoke to Duncan, she stood, folded the letter she had been reading, tucked it into a pocket and crossed the yard.

“Excuse me,” she interrupted and turned to Duncan . “what has happened?"

"One of ours has been causing trouble, and is now in the Lock-up" Duncan replied, grabbing a sword from a nearby rack and buckled it on to his belt. Eloise picked up a stave "We'd best go down there and sort it out then". The city guard bowed slightly and lead the way.

As they passed Lissa and Scales, who were still sorting out Lissa’s dropped armour. Eloise paused, “the trick is to kick the edge out as you walk” she said, kindly. “We have to go out, but will be back soon. This shouldn’t take long.” She added, with a set look to her jaw. "If you need anything just ask. Father Gregor will be able to arrange for anything you need."
Last edited by Charlie on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Previously:
Eloise Neville
Order of the White Rose, Ever Vigilant
speak softly and carry a big stick
OOC Charlie

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:24 am

When the pair arrived at the lock-up, they found John in a sorry state. His wrists were cuffed and his head bowed.

He was rocking backwards and forwards and singing drunkenly to himself under his breath. He stank of alcohol and the gutter and his wrist looked swollen and inflamed.

Eloise’s face showed a mixture of sadness and disgust. “You’d better handle this to start with” she murmured quietly to Duncan, before taking a couple of steps back.

Duncan spoke to the guard for a moment who left, returning quickly with a bucket in his hands. Duncan took the bucket from him, turned and drenched the prisoner with ice cold water. “Up” he ordered when John had had a moment to get his breath back.

Eloise spoke in a low voice to the guard captain; “I will pay any fine he has incurred and he will be punished, but if you have no objection, I would rather take him back to the chapter house for disciplining than leave him here.” She shook her head sadly and continued “he is a good man, a good and loyal soldier who just lost his captain.” She stopped for a second, taking a deep breath. “That doesn’t mean, however that we will be lenient on him. You have my word on that”
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie

johnhunter
Passing through

Post by johnhunter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:50 pm

As the ice cold water hit john in the face with it came the first shock of realisation. He looked up into the faces of his friends and superiors and flinched back at what he saw. In Duncan there was a cold anger... he had seen that before, he had been on the receiving end before. He knew he was in for a right thumping, and some particularly choice and unpleasant duties. It was not his Sergeant's glare that so hurt him. It was the look of disgust and contempt on Eloise's face. For a moment John just wanted to cry out, to beg forgiveness, to roar his pain, to hide.

He pulled his eyes away from Eloise and back to Duncan, set his jaw and slowly, steadily got to his feet. He noticed the watchman step back slightly, a fresh graze on his cheek. he fixed his gaze back on Duncan and with very deliberate movements fixed his back ramrod straight and locked his arm across his chest in salute... barely grimacing as his filthy swollen stump banged into his grime encrusted jerkin.

Duncan nodded slightly, acknowledging the familiar pattern they had now fallen into, his voice cracked like a whip
'Report Soldier'

John set his jaw and replied
'Scoutmaster John Hunter reporting for duty Sergeant'

'Fall in Soldier' Duncan turned and marched out of the cell looking neither left nor right and John fell in behind.
One of the twelve

PhilD
Passing through

Post by PhilD » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:12 pm

A smile played across his lips as he walked out of the mess into the warming sunlight, his belly fuller and his spirits lifted slightly with the banter only kitchen staff could come out with, he waved his thanks to the cook and closing the door behind him looked around the yard.
He saw Father Gregor and Duncan exchange words before Duncan and Eloise had dashed off leaving the chaplain to bark at one of the men training and giving him a lesson on parrying, he smirked slightly as he crossed back to the forge to retrieve his sword,

After a few minutes he reemerged sword attached to his belt, rolling his still aching shoulders he beckoned to a couple of men sparring against each other.
'Come at me, can't get rusty now can I?' chuckling and drawing his sword.
The two men looked at each other for a moment before coming at Skorm who just chuckled as steel met steel and the aches and pains that had been annoying him since he had got back melted away.
IC: Darius 'Doc' Cain surviver of Afacia
OC: Phil

R.I.P Skorm De'Hades hero of The Order of the White Rose and Afacia

Nate
Sleep never fell upon his eyes; but he kept sure watch always

Post by Nate » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:51 pm

*Anger flashes across Gregor's face at Eloise's words, but he brings his temper in check. Glancing at Lissa and seeif her talking to Scales, he nods slightly and resumes watching the training, keeping an eye on their guest and the other trainees.*
Nathan Hoyle - Event Organiser and Coordinator

admin (at) skullduggerylarp.co.uk

Alison
Defender of the HOL

Post by Alison » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:00 am

Lissa noticed the angry look from Father Gregor but could not deduce whether it was triggered by Eloise's comment that he would look after her and Scale or the conversation he'd been having with Eloise beforehand. Deciding to avoid upsetting him further, if she and Scale are the cause of his anger, she quietly asked a passing guard the way to the armoury then, picking up her armour once more and concentrating hard on not tripping again, she set off following the supplied directions.
At the armoury Lissa introduced herself to the armourers then found a spot out of the way to work quietly on her armour, repairing and renewing as necessary, trying not to let her mind dwell on Scale's lack of news about the Pack's whereabouts or safety.

---

Later, her work complete, Lissa returned back through the main courtyard. As she approached the chapter house John marched into the courtyard. Lissa was immediately struck by how gaunt and haggard he looked, evidently in pain, and was about to hurry towards him to see if she could do anything to help when she noticed Duncan and Eloise following behind with set angry expressions. Sensing that this was not the moment for an outsider to interfere in the Order's business Lissa stepped back to let them pass.
Classic IC: Hrafnhildur Eriksdottir of the Iron Ravens
RIP Mere, fae of wood and water
RIP Lissa of the White Rose
Wyldefire IC: Nasreen ullah Ardshir ibnu Jau'an Shaghal

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:56 pm

After Scale and Lissa had finished untangling themselves Scale allowed Lissa to leave she looked slightly unomfortable. Scale was not sure if this was his fault or perhaps a member of the Order had said something. She seemed to have glanced to father Gregor and the others before making her excuses and leaving.

Scale basked in the afternoon sun for a while before exploring the compound, careful not to venture too far away from communal areas less he give soemone a fright. Eventually he found his way to the kitchens and after slipping someone some coppers for the Order coffers he'd got hold of some warm bread and soup. Eating it quickly he found himself drawn back to the courtyard and saw John enter with the others. He'd taken Alistaris death hard, very hard. Maybe after the Order had dealt with him Scale would talk to him. He needed purpose again, something he wouldn't find at the bottom of a bottle.

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:45 pm

The last of the dust from the battle had been cleaned from inside and outside of the Chapter House and it was back to business as usual as the winter slowly set in and Eloise sat in the refectory of the chapter house and stared into her bowl.

Skorm had taught the kitchen staff a good deal about making food last and taste good but she could tell that the hock being used to make this soup was coming to the end of its usefulness.

She spooned some of the thin liquid into her mouth, swallowed and sighed. They may have returned the stolen gold to the city but food was still scarce and she insisted that they lived on bare minimum, the leaders eating the same as the recruits and making every bit go as far as possible. Any spare was given to the poor and needy and Eloise refused to go to the black market for any more.

At least the food was warm in her belly and kept her fed. This winter was going to be harsh and they would need their wits about them if they were to keep the peace. Smuggling, banditry and black market sales were rife. Thankfully Eloise always seemed to have the right information at the right time which meant that Duncan was able to deal with trouble makers before they became too much trouble.

Duncan had been kept busy sifting through the new recruits, weeding out those who were in it for the glory and the money (those were the ones who were quickest to leave), those who were in it to bully others (they got short shrift from the newly made knight) and those who put themselves forward for the right reasons. To serve Afacia and to defend it, and it’s people from enemies.

There were a few in the latest bunch who were likely. Eloise didn’t have that much to do with the recruits as the ones for the cups usually didn’t stand out till later in their training.

As Eloise finished the last of her thin soup and hard bread, Sir Duncan led a group of recruits in from the training ground and over to the service hatch. She smiled as she saw the enthusiasm with which the lads fell to eating their lunches, thinking to herself that Duncan must have been working them hard, keeping them warm and well trained at the same time.

She stood to leave and as she did so, took a good look over the recruits. One of them seemed familiar. She frowned and moved to see him clearer.

At that moment, the man she had recruited as her secretary approached her; “I am sorry My Lady, you need to take a look at this” he handed her a list. Eloise shook her head, and looked at the list, her concentration broken, and the recruit forgotten.

“Well, we’d best do something about this” she smiled up at Faust, before accepting his bow of agreement and walking away to her rooms with a quick step.
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie

Nick
I Remember the Rejection

Post by Nick » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:45 am

The recruit, noticing Eloise, swiftly diverts his eyes and does his upt most to keep his concentration firmly fixed to his watery meal.
Mahesh ullah Ardshir ben Jau'an Shaghal

IC: King Isaac Neville: Son of Saint Alistair, The Sword of the Just, Head of The Order of the White Rose, King of Afacia

IC: Lord Daitengu Komainu: Loyal to the last.

OOC: Nick Pasieka

Vorlaith
Been here a while

Post by Vorlaith » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:45 pm

After months alone, in the field, Vorlaith sighs in relief as he rounds the corner, and sees the chapter house, having never been before, and not even sure if he's welcome, he's reluctant to go inside. Instead he plants himself outside, and patiently waits for one of the order that he recognises to pass by.

*I wonder what it's like to be a knight, I wonder if Gregor is there. The order kills evil and protects, noble causes both, but it doesn't seem to hunt it. How does Gregor balance his Oaths to Akarne and his Oath to the rose?*
IC - Vorlaith
OC- Glenn, but not THAT Glenn. =D