Ever Vigilant

A place for in character roleplay
Alison
Defender of the HOL

Re: Ever Vigilant

Post by Alison » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Lissa returned Eloise's smile.

"Thank you Eloise. I would obviously have gone wherever was appropriate but the room full of teenagers wasn't really appealing." Lissa laughed quietly. "Odd really that it should bother me, when you consider the conditions we slept in at Heiligtum... Who should I see for my duties? I've been helping out in the armoury and on the training ground where I could but nothing official."

Lissa paused, thoughtful.

"And speaking of official, you should probably know, for your records - my true name is Alicia Verrens. Although it's been over twenty-five years since I last used it, and I don't plan to start now. But still, it seems right that you should know it."
Classic IC: Hrafnhildur Eriksdottir of the Iron Ravens
RIP Mere, fae of wood and water
RIP Lissa of the White Rose
Wyldefire IC: Nasreen ullah Ardshir ibnu Jau'an Shaghal

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Eloise, Lissa and Verity slowly walked back into the city. Eloise and Lissa gently supported the exhausted Verity, Eloise periodically reminded her “Bathhouse and Sherry” and they eventually reached their destination.

Twenty minutes later, all three women were soaking, neck deep in tubs with glasses of sherry in their hands. Their weapons lent up against the wall next to clean clothing, and a large bottle of sherry sat on the table next to them along with a good spread of cold meats, breads, fruit and cakes.

Verity had soon recovered enough to hold a coherent conversation.

They lightly touched on Lissa’s induction into the Order and then as the waters, food and wine did their work, Eloise turned the conversation towards more serious issues from the day.

“I am concerned about the things we found today” She took a fortifying sip of sherry. “I am worried that the Bringers may be involved”
Previously:
Eloise Neville
Order of the White Rose, Ever Vigilant
speak softly and carry a big stick
OOC Charlie

Alison
Defender of the HOL

Post by Alison » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:27 pm

For Lissa, the exhaustion of the battle had been followed by emotional turmoil. First she had been startled when Duncan called her by the name she had not used in so long. Then when he started to berate her for her reckless behaviour in a previous battle she was desperately trying to appear calm while internally panicking that she was about to be expelled from her trial with the Order. When, instead, he finally told her that she was being accepted fully she was so surprised she could barely stammer her thanks.

Now though the news had sunk in and she lay luxuriating in the hot water, concious of an unfamiliar deep sense of belonging.

Eloise's words brought her out of her reverie and she focussed on the conversation.

"What did you find? All I know is there was some sort of magical device that was destroyed, but I was too involved in the fighting to observe what was going on."
Classic IC: Hrafnhildur Eriksdottir of the Iron Ravens
RIP Mere, fae of wood and water
RIP Lissa of the White Rose
Wyldefire IC: Nasreen ullah Ardshir ibnu Jau'an Shaghal

Esme
Defender of the HOL

Post by Esme » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:58 pm

Verity dabbed gently at her ears with a hot flannel, and tutted as yet more blood was apparent. Straining to hear her two companions, and looking around nervously, she spoke quietly.

"That Blackthorn man, a mage of the 7th circle - working directly under Magnus's command with his 6 colleagues, wished our assistance to get this weapon working, for the good of Afacia. Apparently it would help us win the war.... He was unwilling to divulge too much information, but after a quiet word with Tiberius, the information was soon available.."

She smiled and winked at the two ladies.

"During the confusion of the fight with the Heiligtum troops, it became apparent that the weapon was in the Chapel. Soon after that, Blackthorn managed to barricade himself inside. Using the staff, I was able to work out that the entire door had been infused with magic, but I could not open it. I was not willing to risk the use of explosive or fire magic to break the door due to the weapon within the Chapel and my limited knowledge of it's construction. Somehow, with just a dagger, Tyrel was able to break through the door. Blackthorn was nowhere to be seen and there was blood, teeth..and well, bits..everwhere. And then there was the noise..."

She dabbed at her ear again, and then glanced down at her fingers. They were red and sore, and the fingernails blackened.

"There was a charcoal circle on the floor, and all I could think to do was break it by scratching a line with my trusty needle, presumably it was this charcoal circle that was leeching power from the Ritual circle to power the weapon. Fausset assisted me and we broke the circle. Father Gregor and I consecrated and dispelled the magics within...there was a green light...voices"

Dropping the flannel in the tub, she took a large glass of sherry and downed it quickly.

"I remember being on the floor, and the green light shooting over my head. The whole building was the weapon, infused with magically conductive materials. Father Gregor and I agreed with Danik that the place should be destroyed."

She glanced round the room again and her tone became more hushed.

"The green light would suggest the Vai. I do not know about Bringer involvement in this but the fact it was outside the shield and Blackthorn was able to get to the place without being attacked makes me suspicious. I confess, I am very worried about the Red Mages and what can be done, equally worried about the Church and the fact that both Magnus and Barraclough have the King's ear. There were other events that transpired in the Chapel which I have mentioned to my husband and raise further concerns."
IC - no one currently
OOC - Lisa

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:32 pm

Eloise refilled all the glasses and helped herself to some of the food.

After obviously enjoying a honeyed cake and taking a sip of her sherry Eloise sighed.

“I trust the owner of this establishment. We won’t be interrupted while here and the washer women next door gossip loud enough for us to not be overheard.” She took a deep breath and continued. “I need to discuss some other things. I trust you both implicitly and value your council and need some in this matter. I certainly can’t talk to Duncan about it and since I lost my brother, I lost my oldest confidante”

The conversation continued long into the afternoon, pausing only for top ups of hot water, food and sherry.
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:50 am

Eloise was worried.

She’d been furious when she’d heard of Father Gregor’s punishment but relieved that they had seen fit to release him. She’d promised him that they wouldn’t interfere with the Churches processes, but had been sure that standing by, had a harsher punishment been meted out, would have been nigh on impossible.

In the week and a half that they’d been without their Chaplain, Eloise had visited Church twice. The second time, she’d doubled her retinue, and made sure that she was wearing her best clothes to give as good an impression as she could. She’d even borrowed furs from Lady Trask and made sure that Isaac had a new surcote. It seemed that right now, wealth indicated power and influence.

There had also been requests that she’d never had before. That the Order be hired to protect this or that noble from the unrest. Eloise had managed to turn them away without giving offence but it had worried her. She had met with Duncan and Trask and made sure that any extra that the Order received was given away to the poor. Scorm distributed any extra food each day to the needy, and all the Knights and Squires walked the streets, making sure that they were seen, and, also that they were seen to be protecting the people.

Even so, Eloise was worried. Worried for herself, worried for the Order but most of all, worried for Afacia
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie

Vorlaith
Been here a while

Post by Vorlaith » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:40 pm

'My Lady, you look.. like you've been working hard' Vor's playful comment, clearly laced with concern. And Vor know's that look, it's etched into many of the Order at this current time, and times are difficult to say the least.

'How are things progressing? how are you?' Vor calls gently after Lady Eloise as she walks down the corridor. Vor then shuffels nervously, this is the first time anyone within the order has seen him out of combat gear. Since becoming indebted to the Healers Guild, he's tied his daggers to his sheath, and has donned his initiate robes, and will continue to do so until his penance is served. Feeling a bit nervous, sheepishly he states 'oh the robes, well, I know i'm not exactly ready for combat, but, so many people need help, I don't think any-one wants help from the Sword of Akarne right now, so unless you've need of me, you'll find me trying to do Ember and you proud, dressed like this...' and now after his rambling, and a glance at Lady Eloise's unreadable expression he quickly asks again, with a slight bow, 'how are you my lady?'
IC - Vorlaith
OC- Glenn, but not THAT Glenn. =D

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:40 am

Eloise smiled at Vorlaith, appreciating both his concern and his attempt to lighten her mood.

“I am as well as can be in these troubled times” She replied. “Things are tense and, I think, not going to get better for a while at least.”

Eloise paused, thoughtful, before smiling and taking Vor’s arm. “Come and have a cup of tea with me.” She spoke with playful authority, clearly saying no was not an option.

When they reached Eloise’s’ rooms, the squires had anticipated her needs and had laid the small table with cups, tea and even a plate of small biscuits. Eloise gestured for Vor to sit, took the other chair herself and poured the tea.

“Things right now are tensed like a bow-string. Wound tight, ready to fire and cause havoc.” Eloise frowned. “I don’t particularly like not being able to control my own destiny, being flung too and fro with the tide. But then I suppose everyone feels like this at the moment.”

She stopped and sipped her tea, relaxing. “We have no real choice, however. We are dragged here and there, doing Arkane knows what, and I suppose we are doing what is right. It is hard to know. What I do know, is that whatever happens, we need to keep our wits about us.”

Eloise smiled gently. “I find that the act of pouring and drinking tea clears the head. It relaxes the senses and calms a hectic mind, leaving it able to process the information more fully.”
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie

Vorlaith
Been here a while

Post by Vorlaith » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:33 pm

As Vor is led deeper into the Chapter house, he notices the occasional space where a tapestry may have once hung, feint scratches on the floor from furniture that was once, and is no longer there, clearly the Order has been doing everything it can, to help those still in the city.

Once led into Lady Eloise's rooms Vor remarks, 'This is the first time I've ever been invited to a ladies room, first time in the light of day too' he muses, in his own mind 'It's refreshing, being among people who accept what and who he is, although it isn't like, it is accepted, and not having to wear a mask, even among friends, is liberating' and smiles.

Vor sips at his tea, enjoying the warmth, and the respite. listening to lady Eloise's voice dance around the room. After a moments thought he replies 'I've never controlled my own destiny, and in all honesty, I'm not sure I'd like too. I would rather support more learned individuals, and achieve a greater objective, does that make sense?'

He lets the almost rhetorical question hang just a moment, before continuing.

'What do we know about where the city stands as a result of our last time travelling endeavour? As you no doubt know, though I took pains to conceal it, I was sequestered for questioning by my Apostle, so aside from the corrupt nature of my tasks now, I know little about what has changed.' he pauses for a moment 'Are we free to speak openly here?'
IC - Vorlaith
OC- Glenn, but not THAT Glenn. =D

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Eloise laughed gently. “These were my brother’s rooms. I don’t really see them as being a Lady’s private rooms” She then smiled sympathetically. “I do understand, even if I don’t feel that way myself.”

She shook her head and took a sip of her tea, giving a moment to consider. “The city seems not so changed as before. It is poor and it is hungry, it is just larger. The bubble that protects us, shuts us off from the world at large, and there is only so much that can be brought in through the circles. And only so much that Heiligtum has left us.”

She then nodded slowly. “It is safe here. As safe as anywhere. We are deep within the chapter house and my secretary is very thorough at ensuring my privacy. One moment…”

Eloise stood, crossed the room and shut the door.
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie

Charlie
Passing through

Post by Charlie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:11 pm

She always remembered the first day they met, and as the swords cut her down and life faded from her eyes it was the last thing that she held up in front of her.

17 years, 11 months and 29 days old, Eloise paced impatiently. Tomorrow was her birthday and finally, finally, she would be allowed to put her training to use and go with her brother on campaign. He’d been away for the last two years, fighting, and she had burnt with jealousy.

Eloise's mother smiled with understanding as her youngest child impatiently fired her crossbow again and again at the targets. She’d watched her fight the trainer with her quarter staff until he had asked for a rest and then she had gone to the range and taken up the crossbow. Her aim was a little off but her mother gave Eloise leeway as she was impatient and was obviously trying to be calm and not show how much tomorrow meant to her.

Two hours, a five mile run and one long bath later, and Eloise was dressing ready for dinner on the eve of her 18th birthday.

She ran down the stairs, unladylike and as exuberant as an untamed colt. Her long golden hair loose and flowing in the correct style for a young lady and her skirts lifted so as not to trip her as she ran.

At the bottom of the stairs stood two men. One, his face as familiar to her as her own, light sandy hair falling to his shoulders and a neatly trimmed beard, smiled at her and the other, dark as her brother was fair, bowed deeply as Eloise dashed forwards.

Alistair hugged his sister and spun her once round as he greeted her laughing “Sister! It is good to see you!”

Eloise laughed loudly and hugged him back “Alistair!” she exclaimed. “I didn’t think you would be back in time!”

She looked over at the stranger, noticing him for the first time, and smiled as he stood from his bow.

For a second, time seemed to stand still and her heart missed a beat.

The stranger’s dark hair curled to his shoulders in ringlets. His goatee, in the same style as her brothers, was jet black and neatly trimmed. His clothes were not from as fine cloth as Alistair’s and his face was very serious but his eyes drew hers, bright blue and piercing, made brighter by the frame of dark lashes. He bowed his head again in respect and she flushed slightly, recovering instantly, before he could notice.

“My dear sister” Alistair spoke laughingly “How could I miss your birthday! We travelled hard to make sure we came in time!”

Time started again with a jolt and Eloise, with a hint of the diplomacy she would become so adept in, smiled prettily. “I had hoped you would be here but couldn’t be sure. Father said you were on the borders with La’coa and might not be able to get leave. Won’t you introduce me?”

Alistair clapped himself on the forehead “sorry sister, I forget my manners.”

Turning to his companion, he smiled. “Duncan, may I present my Lady Sister, Eloise Neville.” He turned gracefully to Eloise. “Sister, May I present Duncan Mohrville, my Seargent at Arms and good friend.

Eloise smiled gently and dropped a slight curtsey, “I am pleased to meet you. Any friend of my brother’s is a friend of mine.”

Duncan bowed slightly and smiled for the first time. In a voice as warm as chocolate he greeted her. “I am pleased to meet you my Lady”

No matter what happened, how dark things got or how complex the politics she was in, Eloise never forgot that moment, the first time she saw Duncan’s smile.

As her eyes closed for the last time, she smiled again to match his all those years ago.
Previously:
Eloise Neville
OOC Charlie