Keeping watch within the camp

A place for in character roleplay
Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Keeping watch within the camp

Post by Hamsterbag » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:08 am

There was the distinct smell of wood smoke, damp and tickling at the senses. The coals in the brazier were still glowing, far from a roaring flame but producing enough heat to chase the cold away. Candles gave a flicker, the candles and lanterns the Silurians had set up around their camp pushing away the encroaching darkness of the forest. The people held their worry for such a place, the old superstitions playing upon the voices of their elders - people had already been snagged and grabbed in the night, making such tales all the more real and less of myth. It was still far from safe here; the sooner they could beat a hasty retreat out of the land of elves and back to their kin they had left in Afacian the better. And it was Fallon who found herself falling into the same paranoid mindset. She breathed and shook her head to herself, "Haamid Nii."

Perched upon her chair the Thegn balanced her cup upon its arm, her finger tips pulling upon the pages of her note book to inspect her writing. Entities, beings, creatures, she was not quite sure what to summarise them as beyond things that were not considered 'normal'. Plagued, poisoned, spiders, wisps, mistwalkers - her brow furrowed before she sucked in the smoky air. What had happened? What had been achieved?

By the sounds of things the others had been successful with their Elm business; but it was the attitudes that would inevitably follow that left her cautious. After all, blows had already been given and received elsewhere in the last few days. She gave a mutter, taking up the quill and carefully tended to the blunted nib with a knife. It was not the only thing that split her attention that night. The words of the Ash Makers with their notice caused her pause to raise a brow, her mind taking another flicker back to her study of the corpse. It was with a grimace she picked the flecks away on the nib, "What is hidden in snow, will be revealed in the thaw. Maybe. Possibly. Hopefully."

Her gaze turned outwards towards the edge of the camp this time, a pause as she gave the hot coals a firm jab with a stick. It was time to begin her watch.
OOC: Jen M, 763 | Main SC: Ensign "Izahia Prussian Von Stavavitch", Hoch Katheder (Southern Alliance) | Past SC: Fallon Skylar, God Queen of the Silurians

"What can I say? Mother taught me to always be greedy."

Smileygoth
Sleep never fell upon his eyes; but he kept sure watch always

Re: Keeping watch within the camp

Post by Smileygoth » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:34 pm

A small black figure, just another shadow in the darkness, moves quietly past, the faintest creak of leather audible. As it passes the Silurian camp, it steps into the edge of the firelight, just enough so its face can be seen.

Kevralyn nods to Fallon and smiles. "Can't sleep?"
IC: Sivni, a Lagamoora Goblin.

OC: Tracey. Hi!

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:24 pm

There was a noticeable flinch as the figure peeled out of the darkness, the fingers briefly flexing around the knife. She lowered it as the voice of the Degan made herself known, before merely shaking her head - she was becoming unnecessarily jumpy.

"You know what they say. No rest for the wicked," Fallon merely offered a smile back, her free hand gesturing inwards to the camp - a simple act of welcoming the Degan in should she decided to take it, "And it is the wicked who end up keeping watch so the rest can sleep easier and not have to worry about nightmares stealing them away." She shrugged and turned her gaze down to the balanced cup, "What of yourself? Unable to find rest?"
OOC: Jen M, 763 | Main SC: Ensign "Izahia Prussian Von Stavavitch", Hoch Katheder (Southern Alliance) | Past SC: Fallon Skylar, God Queen of the Silurians

Smileygoth

Post by Smileygoth » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:50 pm

Kevralyn shakes her head, her glance flicking down momentarily as she notices Fallon's grip tighten on her weapon, then relax. "Keeping watch. It's my turn. Just in case there are any more beasties left lurking around. Of any sort."

She considers, then steps forward into the glow of the fire, raising her palms toward it gratefully. "These lands are peculiar. Blazing hot in the day, but cold at night ... and I used to think Afacia's climate was bad."

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:09 pm

"That makes two of us then. Don't fancy another run in with those spiders," her eyes looked past then into the darkness, "I'm hoping for a quiet night with few disturbances, we need it." Shrugging she moved herself to pick up a handful of wood shards for the fire. Standing she approached and placed them into the brazier, silent as she listened "Certainly strange weather. Maybe it's the season changing from summer to whatever in this world. It's something to keep an eye on in any rate. Don't want sudden bouts of colds." Fallon released a snort, "Afacia sounds a lot more appealing than here right now. Solid walls." Her gaze turned to the Degan then, "How are your kin faring?"

Smileygoth

Post by Smileygoth » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Kevralyn shrugs. "We're fine ... as much as any homeless people in a strange world, separated from their gods, can be, I suppose." Realising how maudlin she sounds, she grins abruptly. "We're stubborn, vengeful bastards, and we're hard to kill. We'll be fine. How are yours? You seem to have found a few more of your countryfolk as well. The rest of the caravan must be catching up."

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:43 pm

"You sound optimistic," there was a hint of sarcasm in her voice before she cracked a smile, "Still, we all need more of the stubborn vengeful sort these days. Strange world, equal amounts of opportunity and danger if you know where to look. I wish whatever you do have stays with you and that you have at least a fire to sit beside and a bed to fall into each night." Fallon's eyes looked back down and beneath the Silurian awning, the glinting of a kettle in the candle light catching her attention. She gave a hum, mind keening down towards the idea of a warm drink before averting her attention back to Kevralyn. Dark times, the weight of their people upon each others shoulders - always having to watch those around them.

"Yes. I have found quite a few of them popping up - perhaps it is the caravan, or it is them with their itchy feet. Funny, how at the start of the year I barely knew the names of two others. Now, I brush against double digits." The Thegn pinched her brow at that moment, a troubled tone seeping out, "If I am honest, I do not know. Both the nomads and the settled seem eager to prove themselves and keen to stand together as one. Yet, I worry they will be too prideful and get themselves into trouble. Showing courage in battle is one thing, but being reckless is entirely different. Still, I suppose then it is to me to keep them alive. I hope, that we will be all fine." Her gaze shifted again, returning to the kettle once more. It was with a mutter she spoke, "Do you want a hot drink?"