Outside the City

A place for in character roleplay
StephenReynolds

Outside the City

Post by StephenReynolds » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Scale had attempted to leave before dawn. But he was dismayed at the site that greeted him outside the city. A large contingent of Iron Dwarves had made camp although appeared to not be making aggressive moves in this direction. There were tents arrayed in an orderly formation, a perimeter lined with stakes and an outer picket of guards. Fires burned inside larger tents lighting up the insides in the early morning light but quickly they became difficult to see as the light of the sun crept out over the plains. The mornin guard changed and Scale began to appreciate just how many and heavily armoured warriors they had bought with them. A brief thought fluttered through his mind about who might be down there. He pushed it away...He couldn't face friends that had become puppets of the Mist King. Not yet. Not without a way to free them. Scale had spent some time assessing their numbers and capability before he made his mind up further. He masqueraded his 'spying' by rooting around for herbs and plants for his kit. Foraging for anything he might eat on the road. Or at least his planned trip. It now looked unlikely he'd get past the Iron Dwarves unmolested.

Eventually a small number of city guard and what looked to be an official exited the city and went to talk with the Dwarves. Scale continued his watch for another hour. Nothing seemed to have happened to the delegation as they eventually returned, one of them bearing a large stack of paper. Noticing Scale the official spoke in the ear of a guard, passed him some of the paper and gestured in Scale's direction.

Hunter. It was a statement. The Guardsmen evidently mistook Scale for a ranger of some sort. The Iron Dwarves are here as our allies to fight the Tor'Keth. Leave them be son. I suggest you return within the walls. He handed Scale one of the notices, the group moved past and headed back into the city.

Scale looked at the words upon the parchment. Anger stirred him...What idiocy was this! He tore the paper up and scattered it to the breeze. He sat himself down, pulled some parchment from his own bag and began to write.

Arun
Passing through

Re: Outside the City

Post by Arun » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:37 pm

Trash, noticing the dwarves in the distance approached slowly still tracking this new scent although caught off guard and put in the worng direction at points he followed his nose and the foot prints and carried on, the tracks lead on till eventually it came to an end, a figure in the distance,

"I think that's him Eldunarí" He whispered, trash then moved towards the figure,

" Nice letter by the way Scale, brought a tear to my eye " He says to scales with a smirk, "you didn't think you could leave without a proper goodbye could you?"
Trash - Cub of Kargath, Prince in darkwood. Cheif of the ACPD

Jalik Warrior of the Edain and Sanctuary of the old world

OC:Arun Boyle
ID:528

jwhitehurst7
Passing through

Post by jwhitehurst7 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:10 am

Eldunarí let Trash take a few steps forward to meet Scale, he didn't want to disturb their reunion. Instead he watched the camp, of all of the people he had met on his travels he regarded Dwarves as a mystery to him, to tell the truth he'd only ever met 3 and two of which were made of Cold Iron. Queer folk they are, with queer ways and customs he thought. Despite these thoughts he found it hard not to be impressed with how effectively that they had mobilised and how well they dealt with the heathens that once called themselves his masters.

El took a few steps forwards to join Trash and Scale.

"Good morning Scale, out early for a stroll I see" he said jokingly "So, what's all this paperwork? I assume Dwarfish bureaucracy has got you stuck here?"
IC: Eldunari Ebrithil.
OOC: Josh Whitehurst

Watcher, scholar, teacher, diplomat.

"Winter to summer, death to life and so the cycle turns. In Elm's name we are blessed."

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:55 pm

I knew I should've chopped off your nose and gouged out your eyes Trash. Scale responded. He still remained in his sitting poisiton and finished what he was writing. You're too good at your job. He grinned. And you've bought a friend! Your eyes failing you in your old age? Morning Eldunari.

He stood, put one piece of parchment back in his bag whilst rolling the other up and holding it in his hand. I had hoped to disappear in the night...I plan on returning but for now Ptolomy needs to mark his authority on the Pack and within the Free Peoples. Having me around clouds minds and muddies the water.

However... Scale gestures out accross the plains. ...our new...friends...have somewhat made my passage to Darkwood tricky. At this point I assume you've seen the missive? I was passed one by some Afacian stooge on his way back into the city. What sounded like a pang of annoyance or bitterness entered his voice.

This Eldurnari? Scale holds out the piece of parchment. Is the current layout of the Dwarven camp. I expect they'll move off in a day or so rendering my attempt to fathom a weak point in their defences moot. Again he spoke with disgust. Isaac is his attempt to save his people may have doomed all of us. They... Again a sweeping gesture accross the plains. ...want Thor restored. Which CANNOT happen until the Mist King's hold upon him is gone. Thor cannot be allowed to join the pantheon until the Mist King is either dead or shut out of this world.

Scale's attempt to leave the city had been entirely pointless. His selfish quest to hunt down the Seakin had clouded his judgement. Even thinking of them made him angry and he snapped at the others. So why are you here?

jwhitehurst7
Passing through

Post by jwhitehurst7 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:30 pm

"Well Scale, if the presence of myself and our furry friend isn't much of a give away we came looking for you." Eldunarí picks up Scale's drawing and examines it. "Hmmm... traditional defence tactics, no way around only through, plant your feet, hope for the best and stop the advance- crude but effective, though being made of Cold Iron certainly helps..." Eldunarí shakes his head as if coming back to himself. "Sorry, side tracked! Anyway, the Silurian's are having a bit of a problem, different to that of Cael's I am certain of it, they're growing scales and spitting acid instead of normal spit, I dare say it burns when they pee. We were hoping that you'd accompany us back to Afacia to see what you think? We left the sick in the hands of Fallon, Ezekiel, Vor and one of the Sidhe folk. I had hoped to continue onto Darkwood myself but if this affects more than the Silurian's then it needs stopping even if it is just to be sure it harms no denizen of Darkwood. But for now I need a drink of water and five minutes off my feet, we've been tracking you all night in and out of the copses and streams."

With that El takes a waterskin from his shoulder and sits on the grass watching the movements in the Dwarf camp.

"Winter to summer, death to life and so the cycle turns. In Elm's name we are blessed."

Arun
Passing through

Post by Arun » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:24 am

Trash says to Scales," yes sorry but your little wandering might have to wait until later, the sillurians are in trouble, there has been an outbreak of a disease I've never seen before, "

He looks over scales shoulders and sees the army of dwarves in front of him, " and anyway doesn't look like we are going anywhere anyway. "

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:26 am

Scale listens to Eldunari say his words and lets him take the hastily scribbled drawing. He lets Elduranri sit down and get some rest. His face betrays some hint of wanting to respond once the outbreak in the Silurian quarter is mentioned.

'Trash I need you to...' He stops. 'No scratch that. WHICH Silurians are infected?' His mind began to race. Bad thoughts and images came unbidden to his mind. All thoughts of the army at his back were gone. But now was not the time for panic, not the time to let everything he knew slip away. Not the time for everything the Free Peoples had worked towards crumble becuase of some infection. 'Have either of you come into contact with any infected individuals? Is anyone outside of a Silurian bloodline affected?' Scale became all business, his mind working already on ideas, possible ailments similar and their treatments.

'Eldunari, Trash you have 5 minutes to rest before we head back.'

Arun
Passing through

Post by Arun » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am

"Not any that us know and I don't think it effects us only sillurians seem to be infected, what did you need me to do?" He looks at scale with a puzzled face, he couldn't belive that scale would just leave without even saying good bye to his family, his pack , the people he taught to work together and work not just as a unit but as a family, keeping the spirit of the pack alive.

"I'm ready to head back now."

jwhitehurst7
Passing through

Post by jwhitehurst7 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:34 am

El brought himself to his feet. "Yes, as am I Trash. Thank you for allowing the brief respite Scale, it is appreciated."

Pushing his hair back Eldunarí took a moment to compose himself.

"As Trash has said, none that we directly know but Fallon is in the immediate area treating the sick and the priest, well he seems like a priest anyway, with the shield and spear has been ordered to begin a quarantine and moving those infected to a central location. I am hoping that it sticks to just one species because if it mutates it could cause all kinds of problems, though it might also be some Pious effect given that Sil has re-joined the pantheon and all of sudden this is occurring."

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:34 pm

'Nothing...It doesn't matter.' Scale dismissed Trash with a wave of his hand.

Eldurnari stood up before continuing his explanation confirming what Trash had already said. Scale nodded along. He reached into his bag, looked puzzled and then realised why. He'd given his book to Letharni!

'Right a plan. Firstly, Sil was restored first of all the Gods but like the Huntsman he walked the plains physically. I haven't yet figured out why he and Greenman were more active in the early stages of this New World yet. But that is a discussion for another time.' Scale began to tick things off on his fingers as he went. 'Second, that is a problem that isn't going to go away...' Scale gestures over his shoulder to the Iron Dwarves. 'But for now we will put it to one side. Eldurnari do not agree to their requests until the Mist King is dead. Or can be sealed out of this world. It's too much of a risk.' Scale began to glance around the ground nearby. 'Thirdly I need you both to look for the following herbs on our way back, we don't know the cause but we can treat the symptoms. Wide green leaf with patterning on it akin to the Wild Elf camo. It can be gently simmered then soaked into a cloth, it helps keep things sterile. Next I'm looking for a plant that smells like lavender but has petals that bloom purple, it should help calm people down and soothe the pain if turned into a drink. Finally I want a stalk that for want of a better explanation looks like dried out intestines. It's a natural purgative if you eat the stalks and helps resist disease if it is boiled down and is laced into a broth.' Scale looks at them both. 'We do this as we walk back, we can't afford to sidetrack too far unless we really think we can find a decent amount of this stuff. I have other ideas but will need to examine an infected individual first.'

Scale gestures back towards the city...Sometimes...just sometimes he felt maybe it was both his blessing and his curse to never be able to leave these people.

Arun
Passing through

Post by Arun » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:40 am

" we are grateful for your help scales, I'll get on with finding some herbs." Trash walks into the woods surrounding the city far enough away from scales and El to be with his own thoughts, as he was looking around he thought to himself, " damn I need to get better at finding herbs!" He pulled apart random plants trying to find the ones scale bit he was struggling to find the right ones.

He gets frustrated and throws a twig to the floor and sits down, " Grrrrr " He growls.

He glances over his shoulder whilst filling with prices with grass and sees a flower, a purple flowers with the scent of lavender, " aha! Gottcha," Trash carefully picks the flower and puts it in his pouch and wanders back to find scales and El.

He soon finds Scale on the path El must still be looking for some of the plants, he approaches Scale and hands him the flowers and herbs, " here you go."

jwhitehurst7
Passing through

Post by jwhitehurst7 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Eldunarí had always loved the forests and woodlands so he took great joy in the task that Scale had given. At one point El had considered learning the art of Alchemy but the time it took to do anything with the gathered ingredients was normally better spent using the healing skills he had learnt on his many adventures before he had joined the Malkon. Still, foraging for healing herbs was something that both Alchemy and healing shared and as it meant more time out of the city and in the woods it was time he relished.

Walking off the beaten path Eldunarí started looking for the herbs Scale had described, he knew not their common names but the descriptions were very accurate and he'd used them to translate them into the names he knew in Grey. Soon El's pouches were filled with all but one of the herbs Scale had described, the "dried out intestines", Eldunarí had spent the better part of a thousand years picking herbs for various uses and soon recognised a substitute, a broad green vine which grew on the shades of the tress, it's leaves were dark green and the stemming underneath was bright red. They weren't as potent as the herb Scale had described but it was in plentiful quantity so he carefully took as much as he could carry, careful to not hurt the plant or tree as much as possible. Placing the gathered goods in his pouch he returned to the path in search of Scale and Trash.

A little ways up he soon found them and went to show them what he had discovered.

"Here Scale, I found all but one of the plants you needed the one you had described as dried intestines. Fortunately I've found a substitute, here..."

With that Eldunarí reached into his pouch and took out a small amount of the dark green leaf with the red stem and handed it to Scale.

"I have no idea what it's called in the common tongue, truthfully it's probably something mundane. But in Grey it roughly translates to "Blood Leaf" it'll do the same trick though it's not as strong as what you were after. Luckily there seems to be an abundance of it over there" Gesturing to the edge of the copse he had come from. "how goes the foraging?"

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Scale let the other two forage wide knowing they'd find their way back to him so he began a slow trek back towards the city. He'd already picked most of the herbs close to the path so instead concentrated on ideas of what else this disease could be. It didn't take long for Trash to return and hand him some of the herbs.

'Good going Trash these will help. In fact any amount helps, I just hope this diesease hasn't spread too far. Even if it's confined to the Silurians there's still a whole heap of them.' Scale pondered the consequences of what would happen to Sil if all his followers died. Gods are shaped by our worship and if there was no-one to worship the God...Well..That didn't bear thinking about, especially considering he was already wandering around. A God losing power is probably as desperate as a cornered Beastkin...But a lot stronger.

Eldunari returned shortly after again with success. Maybe not as potent a herb as Scale was after but at least a substitute. 'You've done well Eldunari. I'll be honest the one I was looking for is exceedingly rare so we're lucky to find anything even remotely like it. There were more after Elm ascended...he...' Scale paused. Did he really want to go down this route? He was keenly aware Eldunari was Embers replacement on the Council but was never sure how close they had been. '...sorry. I know Elm's Ascension whilst joyful was not without it's...unhappiness...' Scale paused again before soldiering on. 'It's time like these I miss Ember.' Scale looked around the almost tranquil setting they were in. Far enough away from the city it was quieter and at least moving back towards nature. But then he spied the city looming in the distance and remembered not all was as peaceful.

Scale didn't like to break the mood but....'Right we best head back. We have some supplies which is better than nothing and better than what we had this morning. Unless either of you wants to take another sweep of the woods?'

jwhitehurst7
Passing through

Post by jwhitehurst7 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:05 pm

A pang of sadness ran through Eldunarí's heart at the mention of Ember. She was in many ways a mother to him, though she was with Elm now... or rather she was Elm now, or at least part of him and the thought of that couldn't help but bring a smile to his face, even though he missed her bitterly.

"No harm Scale, I loved Ember as it is well known, before the invasion Elm returned us to Darkwood briefly, there is a tree in a glade now planted in her memory, there is one for Kano too. Knowing I planted that tree and knowing it is protected by Elm has brought great balance to me, Winter to Summer, Death to Life and so the cycle turns. I miss her fiercely but it's what she wanted. To answer a question you posed much earlier Trash, that is why I am desperate to return to Darkwood, so that I might tend to those trees and see them grow, they are my responsibility now and my fate is directly linked with theirs. Sorry Scale, I do have a tendency to go off on a tangent, I am ready to return- these herbs should be more than enough and it's only half a days walk back again at most, we could manage it in half the time if we are desperate for more supplies."

Turning his sights to the looming spires of Afacia his heart felt heavy, it pained him- as he was sure all born of Darkwood- to return to stone and smoke and fire away from fresh air, soft grass and green trees. He took a deep breath and took a step toward chaos.

Arun
Passing through

Post by Arun » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:27 pm

Trash looking at the gates of Afacia snarls at it he really does not want to be back there, he's been kept away from his home for too long, too long without "freedom", too long he has been away from tooth and claw and pas, the only family he has left apart from his brothers, he needs to get back soon. Before he gets fed up.

"Let's just get this disease under control and sorted, I need to get back to Darkwood " He sais in an annoyed tone, he walks in front of El and Scale at a faster pace into the city, "stupid Afacia" He mumbles.