Silurian Longhouse of Afacia City

A place for in character roleplay
Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Silurian Longhouse of Afacia City

Post by Hamsterbag » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:32 am

It was from a position that over saw the longhouse below that Fallon had taken up. A balcony of space that allowed her too look down, observe and make notes on her discovery while still being on hand to attend them should things get out of hand. She could hear the quiet moan of the sick, the pattering of feet as healers tended to them. Sloshing water, the soothing voices. Still it left her in the precarious position that her people needed her attention, yet also looked to her for answers. Such things she could not yet muster, but soon she would begin her tests. And tests always brought some form of answer.

"Sil," She felt briefly the weight of the beads around her neck, the niggling temptation to approach a higher power and ask. She pushed the thought aside. They could not go to him for every problem they had, complain and demand answers - it would be an insult to do so. No, she reasoned, he would be a last resort for guidance when all their other avenues to look down for knowledge had run dry. Besides, she knew he was observing in one form or another. Her lip gave a small curl in comfort to that notion, "I'll let you watch for now. I'm sure you'll interrupt if you need to."

The Thegn moved to the table that took up the space and began spreading of sheets of parchment upon it. She had sent some runners to go and obtain her some more writing equipment and supplies for sampling, another to find books on diseases - she was not about to leave and risk others -, but they had yet to return. A clink as the quill was taken up, her eyes narrowing as she calculated her thoughts and began to write.
  • Control Subject. A normal human being who is neither Silurian nor a Sil worshipper. Must have not have come in contact with Silurians. Obtain full analysis of, including blood sample. This is a standardized control to be used to compare other samples against.
She paused and placed a vial upon that sheet before taking up fresh piece.
  • Silurian uninfected and infected sampling. Check and record symptoms. Full analysis of individuals. For those infected record the life cycle of the ailment in question. Collect blood samples. Uninfected Silurian samples are to be compared against control subject results for any anomalies. Proceed to compare samples against infected. Also check infected blood for any poisonous properties.
She pushed the sheet away from her and instead of a single vial she placed a small rack of them next to the page instead. Lowering the quill briefly as she considered her position. There was something missing, something she was overlooking. It was slowly, however that her gaze began to move downwards to her own arms. The blue veins that wove beneath her skin caught her gaze, the press of fangs against her lips. Sil. God. Shard. Called abomination. Different. A hunch. She was beginning to hate her hunches. She took up the final sheet and began to write.
  • Test Subject Sampling: Fallon Skylar. Obtain blood samples, conduct full analysis. Compare results with previously mentioned. Further tests dependant upon results.
The quill was lowered and her attention turned to the various tools she had before her. Vials, a syringe with a mean looking needle. Her hand rolled up her left sleeve, her brow furrowing as she considered the syringe and felt her stomach knot. It was rather gingerly that she took it up, inspected it and looked gingerly down to her veins once more. Another part of her was curious, what would the results bring? Even if nothing could be garnered it did not make it a pointless exercise. She hissed, "This is not going to be pleasant."
OOC: Jen M, 763 | Main SC: Ensign "Izahia Prussian Von Stavavitch", Hoch Katheder (Southern Alliance) | Past SC: Fallon Skylar, God Queen of the Silurians

"What can I say? Mother taught me to always be greedy."

Smileygoth
Sleep never fell upon his eyes; but he kept sure watch always

Re: Silurian Longhouse of Afacia City

Post by Smileygoth » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:26 pm

"Do ye want me to do that for you?" a soft voice says from behind her.

Metis comes in and stands next to her, her eyes travelling briefly over the pages. "Ah. Here."

She pulls from her bag several vials, most containing scales in various states, and puts them on the table. One, containing a dark brownish powdery substance, she holds out for her to take.

"That was her blood," she says. "It boiled away to ash before I could so much as look at it. But the boiling revealed no strange substances in the blood, only ... it's darker than it should be, don't you think?"
IC: Sivni, a Lagamoora Goblin.

OC: Tracey. Hi!

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:30 pm

It was with difficulty that Fallon had taken the syringe, one finger trying to loop into the plunger, the others attempting to support the body of it. Her hand shook, eyes narrowing as she attempted to instil action. Instead, she felt the tip prod at her and not even consider the start of breaking the surface. She exhaled, shoulder dipping when she heard the voice of Metis behind her. It was with a tired smile that she nodded, "Yes. Please. It appears I am inept at doing so."

In regards to the pages Fallon looked to the samples and frowned. Scales. Who did they belong to? Who was their point of origin? Placing down the syringe for the moment she took the offered vial. Raised, she tried to catch the shades of it in the light, eyes narrowing with consideration. The other hand however took up the quill once more and began to work at making notes.
  • Isla blood sample: Boiled away to fine powder while within tube - rapid dehydration. Remaining powder has lost any immediate heat. Taken on dark-brown colouration. Consider rehydrating sample and testing substance now it has cooled.
"Yes. Definitely darker. But things can still be done with it regardless," her lips pursed for a moment, "Like testing acidity. I... want to confirm a myth possibility. Or at least start ruling them out." She lowered the vial, and reached for a scrap of paper to quickly scrawl down the name of the individual in question. It was rather neatly she tied it around the neck of the tube before placing it down. To the scales she gave a hum, noting her immediate observations.
  • As time progresses, the scales become more defined. Loss of soft edges produces more sharpened ones.
"Burned from the inside out. Rather grim. I take it the scales proved relatively easy for you to work with for your tests?" She paused, "The scales are like young lizard scales. Soft. Weak. Easily pierced." Her fingers drummed upon the surface, and looked back down to her notes, "Seems I've got a lot of things to look at in the next few days."
OOC: Jen M, 763 | Main SC: Ensign "Izahia Prussian Von Stavavitch", Hoch Katheder (Southern Alliance) | Past SC: Fallon Skylar, God Queen of the Silurians

Smileygoth

Post by Smileygoth » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:48 pm

"Easily pierced, yes, but surprisingly reluctant to dry out as normal scales would."

Metis takes the syringe and looks it over curiously. After turning it this way and that, she seems to gather the use of it and corrects the way she is holding it, and takes Fallon's hand in hers.

"Ready?" she asks, then say, "Tell me of these myths you wish to test."

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:07 pm

"Hard to dry out?" she hummed, "That would suggest maybe an oil being present. Perhaps. Did they feel greasy at all?"

She watched the Sidhe turn the syringe and inspect it carefully, considering briefly if it was perhaps wise to allow her to do so. She pushed the thought aside and instead focused on her notes. Gaze refusing to budge, she felt her arm tense up as her hand was taken. Relax. Breathe. Remember to breathe. The question. Answer it, "Ready when you are. Myths? Yes, myths. Silurian myths. Thousands of years old. We like our tales." she wetted her lips, "Sil, is a dragon. His kin, are dragons. Old Silurian tales, stories of when I was a child once spoke of Dragon's blood being very poisonous. It could destroy and make the land barren. Corrode and destroy it." Her brow furrowed, "Others said the Dragons were the first skin changers. Shape shifters. Except instead they could don the form of mortal man."

There was a flicker of concern in her gaze then, her fangs gave an angry chew against her lip. The eyes remained transfixed upon the notes, "Imagine, for a moment, what that could possibly, hypothetically, mean. It's why I am checking. Personal reasons aside."

Smileygoth

Post by Smileygoth » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:16 pm

"Stories are important, especially the old ones. They all have meaning ... and lessons."

She pauses for a moment. "If I were thee, I'd be wondering if perhaps the ... end of the wolf Sil might have brought forth in my people the dragon Sil ... or at least, allowed it to come forth more than it had before. And perhaps this is something the people are not able yet to withstand?"

Another pause. "So if that were the case, what we would be looking for would be not a cure, but a way to strengthen your kin to enable them to withstand ... and control ... the change. Though of course, this is all conjecture."

Another pause. "The scales did feel a little oily, but not overly much. I have put them through several tests ... one I have cooled in cold water, one I set a flame to. One I ground up, and one I have cut in two, to inspect the properties of them. I'll let you know when I've had a chance to have a proper look at the results."

She pauses once more, then hands the syringe - now containing blood - back to Fallon. "All done."

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:12 pm

"Stories are. They define people," she gave a hiss when the needle pricked her, "The Gods are shaped by belief of the people, and the people by the gods. Same as above as below. Rather literal. I think, this is a manifestation of such thing. Something that lay dormant within the Silurian people and is now after generations upon generations starting to awaken. Sil, was a dragon before he was a wolf after all." She looked to the syringe as it was withdrawn, "Thank you. Regardless. I am of the same line of thought as you. It appears to be an obvious choice at present. But I need these tests to confirm that thought. As for kin not withstanding it..."

She took the syringe at that moment, eyes narrowing as she inspected the contents. It was quickly that she took up one of the empty vials and tipped the contents into it. A cork to plug the top, she gently placed it down and watched it settle. Quietly she labelled it as hers before lowering it down, "When we had lycanthropy among us in the old world, there was those who could control and not control it. Now, we have no werewolves. No shifters. Or none that came from the old world with us at least as far as we are aware." Fallon's hands clapped together at that point, "So, where do we find someone who's had Sil's influence upon them?"

"In short, if we find someone who has already had Sil's influence upon them could we use that as a way to solve this?"
she sighed then, "Of course. All theories. For now."

Smileygoth

Post by Smileygoth » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:53 pm

Metis thinks for a moment. "I have heard the priests calling upon their gods for empowerment here. Do you have no priests amongst your people? They surely have felt the touch of Sil."

Her eyes linger on the blood as Fallon transfers it to the vial.

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:32 pm

"We do have priests, in the loosest sense of the word," her lips pursed into a line, "But the immediate obvious aside, priests can also be Skalds, or Rodulv, or Seers, or even Thegns. We can call upon our god for empowerment. I suppose when I say influence I mean... touched? Tampered? Manipulated? No, that's too dark sounding. Gifted. Blessed and cursed. They are one and the same in Silur." Her fingers drummed on the table as she tried to find a way to explain, "For example, Sil was the God responsible for giving our people Lycanthropy. By making them shape changers. Entities of change. Not within a spiritual sense, but in the sense of flesh and blood did he influence them. By doing so he made them his own. Am I even making sense?"

Creasing her brow she moved her attention back to the vial of her blood. Eyes narrowed she began to study it, slowly turning and watching the interior slosh within. It was then she offered it over to Metis, "Well, what do you think?"

Smileygoth

Post by Smileygoth » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:02 pm

"Well, it's not boiling, that's a good sign," Metis replies with a smile.

"Well, if none of your priests are god-touched enough, perhaps you could make one of them so? Bid Sil to ... bless them with the transformative powers? Unless ..."

She pauses, considers, then carries on. "Well, I notice that you have fangs ... and none of the others do. Are they, perhaps ...?" She trails off, clearly reluctant to give offense.

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:54 am

"Perhaps. I am slightly wary to ask such a boon of Sil. In the old world, when we worshipped the Mad-god such a gift was a double edged blade. He would grant transformation powers to an individual, and more often than not they would loose their mind to little more than becoming a feral beast. They were considered lucky if they held even a fraction of control," her gaze turned to look back down to the scene below, watching and inspecting the people from afar, "We do not know his temperament. Let alone what such a sacrifice would cost."

Fallon released a snort and turned her gaze back to the Sidhe, "I am not a shape changer if that is what you are asking Mother Metis. And do not worry about offence, I have already received insult for them time and time again. I have learned to ignore and read the true intention," she merely gave a shrug at that point, "I know their source, a side effect for carrying part of ones god from the old world to the next. And when he returned and took it from me... well. This is the remains. But I don't know what they are or what that would make me." She put on a brave smile, "Which is somewhat unnerving."

StephenReynolds

Post by StephenReynolds » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:37 pm

Scale entered. Damn it was hot in here, he immediately began stripping his armour off and deposited it by the doorway in a pile. His bags he kept with him. He was used to heat but this was something else.

He moved between the sick, weaving between those too weak to stand. Occasionally stopping to look at the infection itself, check a pulse or even wipe a brow. He resisted the temptation to touch some of the scaley features in case he disturb those from their feverish dreams.

There were healers aplenty in here, most were reduced to mopping brows or aiding the dulling of pain the Silurians were feeling. Scale acosted a nurse:

'I bring herbs from my travels. They will not stop the infection but may aid and give respite from the symptoms some of them suffer is there anywhere I can set up?'

The nurse looked tired and weary, too little sleep unless of course she was Silurian herself and coming down with it too. 'Speak to the Thegn.' Scale couldn't see Fallon amongest the press of the sick. 'Up there.' The nurse gestured to a second floor, open to look down to the ground. Fallon appeared to be busy talking to Metis and probably hadn't spotted his entrance.

'Thank you.' Responded Scale. He walked to the stairs and took them slowly until he reached the top. Metis and Fallon appeared engaged in conversation and did not notice his presence.

'Sorry I left.' He ventured by way of apology.

mickeyin
I Remember the Rejection

Post by mickeyin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:16 am

In Le'Sar would walk, at first he would seem fine but then the heat of the situation would start to become apparent. It was warm, he didn't have many layers to take off so that wouldn't really help here. Still where to start? Could he even do anything? he spotted Scale and walked towards him, up the stairs and towards Fallon and Metis. May as well make sure they know he's here, just incase he could be of some use to someone.

"Um, hi there! Looks like you guys are stuck with me..."
Smurfs are a way of life...

OOC: Matt...or it or whatever people usually wanna call me

IC: Le'Sar ^^ R.I.P Bastian

Hamsterbag
One Cloudminder forgot

Post by Hamsterbag » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:05 am

Silence was the first answer she received. As such Fallon simply returned her attention back down to the vial, her finger gently tapping against it. It just looked like blood to her, red, notably not boiling but no doubt still somewhat warm from residual body heat - rapidly cooling. Eliminate all possibilities and destroy all doubt. No doubt she would have to call in others for their guidance. Injuries she knew how to tend to, staunch and stop the bleeding. But the complex inner workings of one who understood medicine and physiology? Not a chance.

Below she heard a moment of distressed crying from one of the stricken, snatching her attention away, yet such was quickly hushed and silenced by a nurse. The opposite to fire was water, an element that seemed equally changeable and yet completely different in properties. What stories could even help with this? Stories had meaning and insight, hints as to the old Sil and his ways. It was his voice however that shatter the thoughts.

"You're back," she exhaled. Relieved, yet quickly the expression turned to confusion and concern, "Why are you back? I thought you were... What stopped you?"
Le'Sar was not far behind either. The puzzled expression remained, her lips twisting as she tried to pick together the new situation before her, "Le'Sar too. I am... a little confused. Did you have some insight to offer? And delayed congratulations to your becoming of High Mage. I'm sure we would have raised a cheer to you if it was not like this," Fallon's eyes darted away, firstly to the sick then down to the vial of her blood, "Sorry."

jwhitehurst7
Passing through

Post by jwhitehurst7 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:28 am

The heat was stifling, the smell of charred flesh mixed with the smell of fever and poultices of Sage was strong before Eldunarí had even stepped through the door.
There are many sick here, most look Silurian at least...means it's not spreading to the other races, not yet at least. Eldunarí thought as he wandered amongst the supporting pillars and make shift beds.
Many puzzled looks followed him but then again since when had an Elf ever dealt with Silurian's out of the kindness of their heart? They shall have my help whether they desire it or not.
Seeing Scales legs disappear up the stairs, El wove his way through the crowd of healers and patients following Scale.

"How's it looking Scale? Hello Le'sar, Fallon." nodding.
IC: Eldunari Ebrithil.
OOC: Josh Whitehurst

Watcher, scholar, teacher, diplomat.

"Winter to summer, death to life and so the cycle turns. In Elm's name we are blessed."